1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Metro SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jaxson5, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Saw this on JJ. Anyone know anything about this paper. Been to NY hundreds of times and never heard of it. Looked at it online and it gives me the "Community-paper" feel.

Also doesn't look like much writing or photography work, just layout and editing. Anyone know?

Company: Metro New York
    Position: Creative sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $50,000 to $60,000
    Ad Expires: April 16, 2008
    Job ID: 893953

Description:
    CREATIVE SPORTS EDITOR Metro seeks a sports editor to produce a daily sports section in New York. Duties include developing and managing a staff of freelance reporters and columnists and putting out the section nightly.

Solid news judgment and proven design skills using Quark are required. Ability to work under intense deadline pressure is vital, including the ability to adjust on the fly. Ideal candidate should be able to find ways to lure readers from other sections of the paper into sports and demonstrate the creativity and willingness to break through the standard elements of a sports page.

This isn’t an entry-level job and at least 2-3 years of experience either as an editor or reporter at a daily newspaper is required, along with knowledge and sources in the New York market or the proven ability to quickly build them. This could be an ideal job for a copy editor/designer looking to put his or her own stamp on a section.

Interested candidates can e-mail their resume, cover letter, design samples and five ideas on how to cover New York sports in a non-traditional way to Tony Metcalf at tony.metcalf@metro.us.

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

This thread for the same job in Philly should give you some insight on the company.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53868/

3. MetroNY

MetroNY New Member

If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability as the outgoing SE.

- David Sandora

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

$50-60K in New York? Do they at least provide you a cardboard-box stipend?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's where the "creative" part comes in.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

That job pays WAY more than freelancing for the most reputable newspapers in New York City.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is PLENTY to live in a suburb. Take the train in and pay a lot, but not a fortune, in rents on the Island or in New Jersey.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jersey is so pretty this time of year.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The biggest problem you'll run into (besides the fact that they switch editors every six months for no apparent reason and are losing $10 million a year) is the fact Metro is owned by a bunch of arrogant Europeans who know next to nothing about running newspapers and know less about America.

Since it's an even-numbered year my guess is they're back to the philosophy of marketing the paper exclusively to 28-year-old women. That's not a good thing for the sports editor.

10. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

My ex-girlfriend lives in Manhattan and makes like $36k. It can be done. You just have to find a good deal, like a rent-controlled apt. I mean, she by no means is rich, but she gets by.

Draft saved Draft deleted