1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 24, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Hitting the road has really helped A-Rod. Nice series up in Toronto.
    A chance to potentially bury Shea Hillenbrand's "sinking ship" and the Yanks drop 3 of 4 and Rodriguez looked pathetic.

Just don't remind the media how great you were the night before after you shit the bed.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to bust on Shaggy.
    I'm just saying I don't think booing qualifies fans as bad, no does cheering qualify a fan base as good.
    Mindless devotion doesn't make fans good either: See Flyers fans aka Stepford fans.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why does booing A-Rod make us Yankees fans "bad" fans?

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

What is the definition of a good fan? Seems to me that some people think that blindly (or stupidly) cheering for a loser makes one a good fan. I don't have the answer, just curious to others opinions.

In NY, you are expected to produce. Period. This is the big time and there is no credit for trying but failing. There is a reason shows go on the road to work out the kinks before opening on Broadway, this mentality applies to sports as well.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For one thing, in my humble opinion, a good fan actually wants his or her team to win and actively roots for the players on that team to do well. Yankee fans seem to be taking pleasure in Alex Rodriguez's failures.

Let me try to explain this again. Alex Rodriguez was the 2005 AL MVP. Even in a down year, he is still the best third baseman in the American League this season. He is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He will turn 31 Thursday and at that time he will have more home runs than Hank Aaron did at that age and it's not even close. He will also have quite a few more hits than Pete Rose did at 31.

The current complaint is about his recent defensive meltdowns, but remember he is playing out of position. He agreed to slide over to third base so Derek Jeter, the inferior defensive shortstop of the two, could stay in his comfort zone. Instead of appreciating his unselfishness, Yankee fans rip him for not winning Gold Gloves (though he probably deserved it in 2005).

I remember in 1992 when I knew as a Pirates fan it was going to be my last chance to watch Barry Bonds play for my team and I had the sense to savor it. The best player in the game was in Pittsburgh. By all accounts, he wasn't on steroids yet, but we already knew he was a prick, but I was still sad to see him go.

Yankee fans have that opportunity now. They have one of the best players in baseball on their team, a guy whose numbers will put him with the all-time greats before he is done. Instead of appreciating that, these spoiled, arrogant (we're the big time here!) children persist in complaining when the guy takes his shirt off and lays out in the sun on a game day (I shit you not).

Championships are not a divine right, even in New York. Great fans know enough to enjoy the ride however it ends. And that "This is the big time," attitude is exactly why people criticize New York fans.

I'm a Pirates fan no matter how bad they are. The same with the Steelers, so I've rooted for a winner, too. I was behind them when they sucked. I stayed with them through one frustrating close call after another and I'm enjoying the hell out of them being Super Bowl champions.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He is the best player in baseball, with another very good (though not his perennial MVP standards to be sure) season underway.

New York fans and their Jeter predilection are as overrated as the shortstop himself.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. Read the comment and KCSportsJournalists.com came to mind there. [/Bitter Royals fan]

8. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

He can hear you all the way from Kentucky on your bandwagon

As my father once told me, 'being a Yankees fan is the easiest job in sports'

Fuck the Yankees and fuck their fucking bandwagon fans

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who's being arrogant here?
    NY fans are bad because they don't express or conduct themselves the way you choose to express and conduct yourself?
    That's arrogance.
    I went to college in Western Pa., and it was not my experience that Pittsburgh fans had any special cache of goodness.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When did I claim I wasn't arrogant? ;D

And SOME New York fans, particularly the band-wagon hoppers who can't wait to rail on Alex Rodriguez every time he dares make an out, are arrogant because they treat winning a World Series as a divine right reserved only for their team and if the Yankees don't deliver 120 victories and a title every season they expect heads to roll.

I was talking about fans like ThomsonONE, with his comments about New York being the big time, as if it isn't major league baseball anywhere else.

I was stating my opinion of what a good fan is and yes, I did include myself in that. I don't see how that is arrogance on a level with the New Yorkers who are constantly saying that everything about NYC is better so they expect that out of their sports teams, too.

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

No where did I say that NYC is better than any other town. However, it is the biggest pond in the country. Doesn't mean it's the best, but it is the biggest. Plenty of big fish in small ponds have come here and couldn't handle it. The standard in NYC is to produce, in any industry, sports is just one of them.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Isn't that the standard for any city and any industry? I mean, which city or industry would claim to have its standard be failure? I know what you mean, but it's a stupid claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted