1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He gave a nice “face time” tribute to his colleagues and the dark day this is for New York City journalism.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Sadly, younger journalists were not spared either. Many in there 20’s, damn talented, were also shown the door.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

6. HanSenSE

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Either that or they’re tone deaf. A Tronc exec was quoted today as saying “I firmly believe that today’s actions will position the Daily News for growth in the years ahead.”

8. HanSenSE

Mets beat writer Kristie Ackert one of the survivors. Confirmed via Facebook.

But via her Twitter feed, here's more that didn't. Sad!

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I survived seven rounds of layoffs at one place, nasty waves of cuts spread over three years.

After the fifth or sixth round, every week I felt like: "Just do it. Dump me next. Dump me now."

They got me in the eighth round. So relieved at that point, but so exhausted, too. Conflicted to this day. Great ride, though.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Did they finally whack you because your salary got too high for their liking?

11. Deskgrunt50

I might be missing the sarcasm here. If so, I apologize in advance.

But if you’re taking this quote from a tronc exec seriously, then you’re deeply misguided. They murdered the Daily News today.

gingerbread likes this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Trust me, I was citing the quote out of disgust. The suits say that shit every time.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted