1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's incredible and tragic. ... I guess it's a sign of the times that I can't fathom what a staff of 70 would do in a sports department. I didn't read that paper often enough, obviously.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Before he got his job as head of social media for the subway system (swell job that!) my son had a couple of meetings with the South China Morning Post in which local news in New York was discussed (along with a lot of other topics, I think my son was part of a wide-ranging research effort). That would be an outfit that could ignore the balance sheet forever if it wanted.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stunning.

I remember years ago in an attempt at gallows humor, someone wrote that a paper was keeping a reporter on staff to look out the window in case news happened in the parking lot. It isn't as funny when it sounds like reality

5. HanSenSE

Isola a panelist on Around the Horn today.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stunning day. Very sad to see. I've said it before, I'll say it again, it sucked the day the announcement came that the Rocky would put out its last edition that day.

Nearly 10 years later, I think it was better that it happened that way, instead of the constant paper cuts and daily worrying of when the ax was going to fall on you, or the daily pressure to do a lot more with a lot less that you now see at the Daily News and certainly at the Denver Post and others.

It just reaches a point that you just chop off the head. Cruel, I know, but at some time, it becomes, "What's the point?"

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Lets see here. There are now five reporters in a market with 9 pro teams in the four major sports.
    No travel.
    How do you divide responsibilities?
    You cease entirely on the Devils. But is everybody a GA?
    Subscribers should cancel if they care a thing about sports.

8. HanSenSE

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This wins the day.

Doc Holliday, Slacker and YankeeFan like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday and Slacker like this.
  11. nickp

nickp Active Member

It’s so upsetting to see so many talented sports journalists not just today with the NY Daily News lose their jobs over the last few years Hard to imagine the NYC sports scene without a legitimate sports section in the Daily News

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Uh ... huh.

Draft saved Draft deleted