1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

They moved all the design (other than the front and back pages) to Chicago in early June. It's not good.

Still just very shocked and sad about how the place has been gutted. Typical corporate crap. They cut the staff in half. Give readers very little reason to buy it. And I've read they're planning to raise the price from $1 to $1.50.

I know the print biz is mostly dead. But it didn't have to go downhill this quickly for what was once a great sports department.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I only subscribe to the dollar a month through version Kindle. I read the sports section about twice a week. From what I have seen they seem to have reporters covering the Jets and the Giants. One woman (I forgot the name) writes baseball stories. The gamers are from the wire services and then she writes something on one of the teams.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kristie Ackert. Has been the Mets beat writer, now appears with be covering Mets and Yankees when they are at home.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Old Time Hockey and lcjjdnh like this.
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

There was a NYDN subscription table at an event I attended yesterday. When the guy waved the print paper at the people walking in front of me I said, "You know half the staff got fired last week?" Those people looked shocked and kept walking. I feel a little bad for messing with the guy's commission... but only a little.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Admittedly from afar, I’m pro-NYDN from 3 minds.

1. The NYDN provides some content for the wire service we use which is far inferior to AP.

2. I love their covers, both front and back.

3. One of their former interns found a home at my paper and is kicking ass.

Since the Post is as anti-Trump as anyone else, the pauly tyqz btween them seems mostly a wash.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The discussion about the travails of the New York Daily News lead me to ask how the Chicago Sun-Times is doing. Does it feel like the new ownership group is "making it" or does it feel like the paper is a dead man walking?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It feels like all papers are dead men walking.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a little late to this, but yeah I think it's very fair. Just firing off one measly "thoughts and prayers"-ish tweet would be something. But I'm guessing he hasn't, or else someone would have posted it.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not dead yet. All you have to do is visit their Web site to see how twitching and flailing that place has become. Unreadable.

What about tronc flagship, the Chicago Tribune? I think they took some cuts a number of months ago, but are they in line for more? That town used to be a vibrant 4-paper market but now it seems like it's down to 1/2 vs. 1/3.

I Should Coco and Bronco77 like this.
  12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I would like to credit Isola for a candid interview. He was not whiny. He was EXCELLENT!! Best wishes Mr. Isola. You are a true professional and gentleman! You are better than those suits at the top who will get their $5 million Christmas bonuses no matter what. You know what strikes me whenever a Hall of Famer like Isola gets shown the door? The higher ups don't realize what a national punch line their organization has become. The suits think Isola is expendable. They think his work is not necessary nor is it even special. They think they can get rid of all of the Hall of Famers replace them for 1/3 the salary and their end goal is still the same. Make sure the owners/CEOs get their vacation homes and bonuses and houses in Switzerland paid for. Getting rid of Isola and the other Hall of Famers on that staff is shameful (and I realize nobody in charge cares one isola, not one). You are the laughingstock of the business world, New York Daily News. We all know what you are up to. All of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted