1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new york daily news: torre to be canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Is this why Girardi hasn't been immediately snatched up by the Cubbies? Has something been in the works in NY?

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

You think this is possible? :D

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And we wonder why the Cubs sits on their hands and every good candidate for manager gets sapped up by someone else.

Dammit, pull the trigger and get Joe G. right the fuck now.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. Fucking ridiculous. If Torre gets fired, then George deserves the fate he gets.

Kudos to Sam Borden. If you've heard the Yankee radio broadcasts, Sam sits in with Sterling and his partner for one inning, so I can imagine the stories he might hear.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Agree 100 percent.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Arguably, Steinbrenner's no longer capable of making an intelligent decision in this area.
    Recent public appearances have been at the Ronald Reagan-in-his-dotage levels.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN is still crediting the Daily News, which I think is interesting, because it means they still can'tconfirm it on their own...

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget gang, Lou ALREADY managed the Yankees once. I covered him doing it in 1987. I find it unlikely he'd want to do it again, because the Yankee team he used to manage (old but really good hitters, old and not so good pitchers) bears an uncanny resemblance to the one he'd be taking on now.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Al Neuharth must be thrilled.
    As a Yank fan, it sucks.
    Their pitching sucked and the offense was due for a postseason slump.
    Why not (shudder) fire Donnie Baseball or Gator?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bill Gullickson toeing the slab in 2007?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The guy who got fired for bitching out his owner? That'll work.

12. It will be interesting if, for the first time, the NYY have trouble finding a manager who wants to work for a lunatic.

Draft saved Draft deleted