1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Congressman admits he's the babydaddy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 8, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

(AP) Rep. Vito Fossella, a married congressman from Staten Island, this morning admitted to having an out-of-wedlock child with a former Air Force officer with whom he carried on a longstanding extramarital affair.

The stunning admission comes exactly a week after the Republican politician was busted for drunk driving in Alexandria, Va. presumably on the way to visit his mistress and their young child.

"I have had a relationship with Laura Fay, with whom I have a three-year-old daughter," Fossella, 43, said in a statement.
    Fay, 45, is a retired Air Force intelligence officer who may have met Fossella when she served as a congressional liaison from the Pentagon.

"My personal failings and imperfections have caused enormous pain to the people I love and I am truly sorry."
    But the embattled lawmaker, who is up for a tough re-election battle this fall, left open the possibility that he may try to stay in office.

"While I understand that there will be many questions, including those about my political future, making any political decisions right now are furthest from my mind," he said.

"Over the coming weeks and months, I will to continue to do my job and I will work hard to heal the deep wounds I have caused."

A family source close to Fossella's wife, Mary Pat, told The Post that the humiliated mother of their three children may soon leave him.

"She's not going to be standing by her man," the source said.

2. Vito's not having a good week.
    And did he vote for the Defense Of Marriage Act?
    Oh, yes, he did.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He kept NASCAR off Staten Island. He's still at +1 with me.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why didn't you want NASCAR on Staten Island? It would have been great fun watching the pre-race traffic jams coming over the Goethal's Bridge.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Repugnican apologists take this one on.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nascar on Staten Island is the most incongruous thing I have ever heard. Are any cars sponsored by waste management companies?

And I rarely take the Goethal's, for anything, but I did a few weeks ago, cranberry. It took me as long as it took to get from Princeton, N.J. to the exit for the bridge, as it took me to get across that stupid bridge. I haven't moved so slowly for no apparent reason in a long time--well, at least without the Cross Bronx being involved somehow.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I think it was the proposed flotilla of race-day NASCAR ferries that finally put me over the top. To say nothing of the corruption of local institutions - this town's about egg creams, not Cheerwine; bialys, not funnel cakes. Plus, I didn't think we needed another couple hundred acres of asphalt in the shape of a giant solar collector sitting empty 357 days a year.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a woman, he stuck to his pro-life position, and this wasn't a fling and no money changed hands. It was a three-year relationship.
    When Vito loses, he'll be labeled a "flawed candidate." I thought most GOP flawed candidates get elected anyway?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I apologize to my wife. No disrespect intended.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"My personal failings and imperfections have caused enormous pain to the people I love and I am truly sorry."

Is that what they call the love of strange va jay-jay these days? Personal failings and imperfections?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but, Clinton got a blow job! That damn liberal media is always picking on us. [limbaugh]

12. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

'Hypocritical' is the same old horse out of the fast gate sporting the republican clown colors. Spectacular.

Draft saved Draft deleted