1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York City banning Trans fats

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by indiansnetwork, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Are they going to far?

1. Not far enough

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Good Start

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Perfect

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. No Way

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Just Crazy

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

New york city is deciding on whether they are going to ban trans fat from all of the cities 24,600 food service establishments. I believe this will be a good start on turning the tide against companies producing unhealthy food choices. If a major city like this can ban unhealthy food additives then it is totally possible that the companies who make these unhealthy products will either go out of business or switch to healthier alternatives.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_he_me/diet_trans_fat_ban

2. markvid

markvid Guest

If only we could trim the fat from here...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

4. New York banned smoking in public buildings. If the city bans trans fat--why stop there--why not ban consuming alcoholic beverages? After all, alcohol can cause all sorts of health problems.

The smoking ban makes sense: second-hand smoke has a negative effect on anyone who is in the presence of that smoker.

But eating a meal made with trans fat is a personal choice. Just like drinking alcohol, consuming trans fat only effects your health and not the health of others.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You can still create dishes without trans fat. There are alternatives. But bars really don't have alternatives to alcohol. The trivia games ain't that fun.

6. indiansnetwork

Robert De Niro, jumping in on the good health benefits of eliminating trans fats.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060928/ap_en_ce/people_de_niro_trans_fats

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm on the healthy eating bandwagon more than anyone I know, but this is ridiculous. Government has no place like this in people's lives. I wish more people were smarter about what they eat, but government can't run people's lives for them. This is an absolutely horrible, totalitarian-sounding idea.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They'd be doing New York a greater service by banning fat trans.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think its a good idea.

10. indiansnetwork

"Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

Doctors agree that trans fats are unhealthy in nearly any amount,..."

This is an excerpt from the article I attached to my original post. I am almost always against government intervention, however in cases such as this it is not only appropriate it is necessary.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is stupid. That's why people go out to get. To eat fattening food!

Why can't people just learn moderation? I saw a 500-pound 15-year-old girl on Tyra today. What is wrong with people?

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

What the fuck is anyone doing watching Tyra Banks?

Draft saved Draft deleted