1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's traditions and good luck charms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is there a New Year's tradition that you follow for good luck in the upcoming year?

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

My family always had roast pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes on New Year's Day. The German tradition is that sauerkraut brought good luck. As I really don't like pork, I'd just prefer the sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Maybe I'll just do that this year as it's my only day off this week.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Greek tradition. The Grandma always bakes a large cake and hidden inside it is a gold coin. The cake is sliced up so that every member in the family is designated a piece. Each family member's home is also cut a separate piece.

The oldest person in the family (grandma) cuts the cake in a precise order. The oldest person in the family first, followed by their immediate family members, followed by the family's home. Then on to the next oldest person in the family, their immediate family and their home. This process is repeated until every person has a piece and every home has a piece.

The person who gets the coin in their piece will have good luck for the next year. If the coin ends up in the piece that belongs to someone's home, it is supposed to give good luck to the entire home (I guess that mean's the roof won't cave in or something).

Also, the cake is delicious and no, no one has ever eaten the coin. The pieces are cut very thin so you can see it and not choke. That would be a bad start to the "good luck year."

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Black eyed peas is the food. Also, no washinging or irning done in the household. Tradition says that you are washing and ironing someone out of your family. Don't want that on my head.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Always pork, sauerkraut and kielbasa.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Always black-eyed peas, pork and sauerkraut as a kid. I've carried on that tradition or whatever as an adult. Not exactly the best hangover food, but whatever.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was talking to a friend about this today. She grew up in the Philippines and her family's New Year's traditions are:

1. at midnight, open all the doors and windows in the house briefly to let the luck of the New Year in and whatever bad luck from the previous year out.
    2. have a significant amount of cash in your wallet, to ensure a prosperous year.
    3. try not to be sick, to ensure a year of health.
    4. try to have your family together, to ensure a year of togetherness.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Never had one, but now I'm thinking about a big bowl of Lucky Charms.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They are magically delicious.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Maybe it's just the southern in me, but I've always done black eyed peas and greens. One for luck, the other for money. The washing and ironing was a thing my mother/grandmothers did, too.

Also, you can't take anything like trash or anything out of the house that day.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Watching the National Championship Game...

Oh.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I'm at karaoke, I usually try to sing all the songs that stuck with me in the previous year, even if I'd gotten away from them over the course of a few months. This year, however, the karaoke place I frequent had CDs broken that bore two of my most important songs of 2009: "Eminence Front" by The Who and "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.

Draft saved Draft deleted