1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Years superstitions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by luckyducky, Dec 19, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I was talking to my boss about plans for the next few weeks today and he made a comment about giving me Jan. 1 off because of the Japanese traditional belief that whatever you do on Jan. 1 is what you'll be doing all year. I've heard and contemplated this before, but never really taken it too seriously ... until now. It's making me a bit paranoid about making my plans for that period.

On that note, does anyone share in that belief/superstition, or have any other New Years-related ones to share? I'm interested in perhaps finding a new one to start this year, too, thus why I'm curious. :)

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Black-eyed-peas. A must-have food for New Year's Day. I've done it for 41 years straight. But maybe I will change that this year and change my luck.

I'm afraid to do it, though, for fear of past relatives coming down and whacking me upside the head.

And they will. Trust me.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Black-eyed peas and cabbage are supposed to bring about good luck.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I like to get laid on Jan. 1. That brings good luck, too.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have worked every new years for as long as I can remember. Probably will be doing the same this year.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not me. That's the only holiday I ever want off. I always volunteer to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc., as long as I can have 2-3 days off for New Year's. Can't remember the last time I didn't get it, either. Most of my coworkers are pretty happy with that deal.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Maybe I'll sleep all day...We have pork and sauerkraut for New Year's.. my mom always did that.. I believe it's a handed down German tradition, but I'm not sure. Don't know if it's lucky or not, but you slow cook it in the oven and pour a beer in. Weird, huh? But I don't feel complete if I don't have it.

8. That our house too.
    Every New Year's Day, a giant roaster pan of pork and (NOT SWEET!) sauerkraut with a huge pot of mashed potatoes.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will third the pork and sauerkraut.

I also place coins on the window seal on the night of the 31st and leave them out on New Year's Day.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Here here on the pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. I can't remember a New Year's Day without it.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I usually lay around, eat a lot and watch TV on New Year's (also usually hungover). I guess that would explain my life.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's Cusack doing this year?

Draft saved Draft deleted