1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's resolutions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My checks have an out-of-state address that hasn't been home for 13 months, and I'm resisting spending the $8 or whatever for new checks 'til someone has a problem with it. So far, no beefs.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's a 972 percent chance I'll regret this post in the morning. But right now I feel like letting it out, and it's better here than anywhere else.

I have spent 90 percent of today either in bed, sleeping, crying or just moping. I am deep in the throes of some darkness ... New Year's does it to me every time. Perhaps it's the news that I'm likely unemployed one year from today, or the fact that, yet again, it's NYE and I have no friends to hang with. I have no life, no outside contacts. I had to fill out a form for my pet-sitter when I went home for Christmas and had no local emergency contact.

My family has gone through some serious shit in the past two and a half year, leading to me leaving a job in the Northeast to get closer to home. Don't regret the move at all, but at some point, when you're on your third job in a third state in four years and you're 35, it gets harder to make friends.

So my resolutions for this year: I'm not going to mope about it. It might suck, and I might make a complete fool out of myself, but at some point I'm going to sign up for some classes, or something, that will help me meet people. I don't know how, and I don't know when, and I don't know where. But I have GOT to stop feeling like this, because it's killing me slowly.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

ijag ... you know I love you and I know how hard it can be. I was where you are until my mid-40's. Also, JR being who he is, I have days where I wish I was still back there. :D

What I know is that you are a funny, smart, amazing woman. And you will find people that recognize that. I promise.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What HC said.

And get on a plane, woman, and come visit me!

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dear IJAG,

My last job, I demanded to work on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Eve. I had no one within several hundred miles aside from my coworkers, and I didn't have the money or remaining vacation time to visit friends or family.

I was night sports editor all three of those holidays, and I let everyone else leave early. I wrapped up the paper, went home and drank bourbon. The good stuff.

It's tough. I have a few friends around here at my new shop, but some financial difficulties have forced me to sit out the New Year's Eve celebrations (most of my friends seem to be going to various bars with big cover charges). It sounds cliché, but football and basketball and a brief visit from one friend have made today bearable. I refuse to watch the ball drop.

I've never really enjoyed dating or being in a relationship, but it sure would be nice to have someone from Nov. 24 through Jan. 2 every year.

I guess I'm trying to say, you're not alone in your loneliness. But you knew that. Also, "two and a half years." :)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not helping me feel like less of a loser, verse. :)

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And in case I forgot, it's 'deckul' bitch. Not 'dee-cal'. :)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not decqual?

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

IJAG, you have our permission to not regret your post one iota.

In the spirit of togetherness, I'm adding to my own resolution list:

3. No moping.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They misspelled my last name on my checks when I ordered them about 4-5 years ago. I didn't notice it right away, so I figured I'd just keep using them until someone complained. No one ever has.
    Of course, I write about 1-2 checks per month too.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

NO RESOLUTIONS for me. they'e always b.s.

i just wanted to post a most heartfelt HAPPY NEW YEAR to my SportsJournalists.com family. and that's NO b.s.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK, not a resolution exactly, but this is something I am going to try and follow.

I really do need to get my home more organized, which in turn, I know will help me feel better all around.

I have recently downsized tremendously, and now that I don't have kids at home anymore, I live in a very small house. And yet, there is not excuse for all the crap and clutter I have.

http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/organized-home.html

Draft saved Draft deleted