1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's resolutions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This has been a pretty lively thread in the past. Time to get the party started.

Last year, I pledged to, I believe, quit caffeine (done) and watch at least one movie per week (done-plus).

In 2012, I resolve to eat better, basically meaning less processed food and almost no sweets, and to finally consistently eat fruits and vegetables. Time to wage an all-out war against anything that might cause cancer some day.

I resolve to watch two movies per week, on average.

I resolve to read more novels. I fell off for a while, but I've been back lately and feel ... enriched.

I resolve to run a marathon for the first time in a few years, and to put myself in striking range of a legitimate run at Boston next time.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

1) back to diet/exercise routine which helped me lose 40 pounds a couple of years back. need to start waking up at 5 every weekday to do my stairmaster and to start eating the healthy foods which I've ignored the past year.

2) reduce wasted time. no more playing Scrabble on the iPad while my kids are awake or ignoring my household chores until the weekend. using my commute to do work or pay bills.

3) doing something to better my community. I need to find a charity or a cause to devote a couple of hours a week.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The two big ones..

1) Eat better/exercise more in order to lose 20-30 pounds and not find them again - like I've done in the past

2) Read more books

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Drink more beer. Go to Europe. Have more fun.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The usual:

Eat less
    Drink more
    Regular long walks with Ella
    Read more
    Read even more
    Read even more

Professionally, I'm as happy as I've been in ages. Maybe ever. Not looking to change much there, though I'm sure my krew could come up with a list of things.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'd love to get my college/wannabe baseball body back. I have the Insanity workout program and while I have messed around with it, will certainly try much harder with it.

Eat better: Have done a pretty good job of cutting pop/soda out of my diet, but the occasional fix is needed.

Travel more.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have started this already, but I am resolving to play at least one board game a night with the kids. Really gets them out of the pattern of video games/computers/TV.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Get rid of all credit card debt and start a reserve account for all major purchases.

Exercise more, eat less, yada, yada, yada...

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's a great one. Puzzles are fun, too.

I'd like to get to 3.5 in tennis

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good one. My wife and I are going in the other direction first, trying to wean the youngster out of her morning cartoon (and in effect weaning ourselves out of sleeping in, sigh).

Instead of a resolution of "losing weight", I'm gonna try to not eat while on deadline for a story or while trying to get through late-nite shifts. That will take care of the weight loss.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to eliminate regular soda.

For me, that's about as tough as it gets.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife was on me for years to give up the fully-leaded soda. Finally kicked in a couple years ago.

If you haven't tried Coke Zero, do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted