1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Dec 17, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know most people make them and never stick to them, but I thought I'd make a few resolutions which I KNOW will make me feel better...

A) Read more -- I simply don't read enough anymore, and I've got enough time, in between semesters, to get in some pleasure reading.

B) Write more -- I wrote during football season but stopped a few weeks ago because of work schedules conflicting with me being able to cover Texas high school football playoffs for the first time in six years. It doesn't matter what kind of writing -- my blog, on this board, stories, my own stories, etc. -- as long as I do it. It's balm for my soul and I shouldn't deprive myself just because I'm out of the full-time journalist business.

C) Be kinder on this board --When I was first starting to emerge as a more-frequent poster, I'd been told, by a few people, that I was a board of calm reason, not resorting to insults and petty fights. But I know I've gotten far away from that, especially in the political threads. I truly resolve to try to be much nicer on this board from now on, because the unhappy and argumentative side of me is not a side I particularly like. So I'm going to attempt to post constructive comments in the political side while still flinging out a barb or two when it's on the comedic side.

I truly enjoy posting on this board and reading the comments and stories of others, enjoying the ups and lamenting the downs of others. This board is a connection to a career I can no longer have full-time for practical reasons, but allows me to stay connected to a career I actually dreamt about when I was a child. How many of us get a chance to have as a job something we've dreamt about all our lives? And I got to do it, looking back at my inspiration, my dad, who had a full-time, non-journalism job, and still managed to turn out at least a story a week for the Houston Chronicle.

This board is also a intellectual stimulant. Since I'm no longer in the business the average "social intelligence" of the people with whom I work isn't as high as it is in a newsroom. So many people out of the newspaper industry take an uninformed stance on key issues, and it's enjoyable to have reasoned and uninsulting debates with people on this board.

As part of my resolution, though, I call on some of the more extreme of us to back off the vitriol that surrounds our opinions and try the reasoned debate approach. It's so much more enjoyable, even if you lose, because you feel like you've heard some valid arguments.

Thanks to all and have a wonder Christmas and a very happy new year.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Can I at least try to make it through the holidays without killing any of my loved ones before I turn my attention to next year?

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm resolving to quit smoking--early in 2007.

Since I'm getting married in 2007 I'm going to resolve to become more domesticated around the entire house. I can cook and bake, but I haven't mastered the whole cleaning thing yet.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm going to stop reading the newspaper, throw plastic bags out the window of my car as I drive 80 mph down one-way streets and make sure everything buy is made in China, including pizza. Fuck the world.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Frank, will you marry me?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Try to lose the 20 pounds I haven't been able to lose for a couple of years now.

Find social outlets other than the bar that don't bore me to tears.

Go back to school in some capacity, even if it's just auditing a class or two (although my schedule might make even that impossible).

Become more socially conscious so I can win the approval of those that are superior to me. :)

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I need to shed a few pounds, too. Around 25 would be nice.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Like me, Pallister? :D (kidding.. you know I am)

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

New Year's Resolutions suck. Most times they are things that you should be doing already not things that are complementary things. Secondly, if you need a date to change your bad habits you have more problems then the bad habits. I read an article on one site I visit about how people who start their new year's resolutions often give up after a month and end up wasting time. Start living your life today not tomorrow or the next day. The day to give up smoking, start working out or even being a better person starts now not later.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Despite his bad grammar, indiansnetwork makes a good point. If I thought I really had the will to quit smoking, there is no reason to wait another week.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Boycott Hollywood. Buy American made products, encourage others to do the same. Solicit dollars for the George W. Bush Presidential Library. Read only positive stories coming out of Iraq.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, Frank, you must be trying to get me to fire a couple of salvos before the end of the year, but I'm not going to bite. As someone else mentioned a bit earlier, if it's something worth doing, it's something worth doing right now.

So despite your angry and bitter post, I'm instead going to shake my head, wish my message had been more accepted by you and move on with my life. Good luck anyway, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted