1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's in New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I note on both those sites that the Carnegie vs Katz's vs 2nd Avenue vs Stage arguments proceed apace.

Anybody wanna rassle over Gray's Papaya vs Papaya King vs Nathan's vs Old Town?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nah. I'm a cow-lips-run-through-a-sausage-blender-fascist also.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or Rays vs Original Ray's

4. The Big Ragu

There is only ONE Original Ray's, despite all the false claims. It is the one at 13th Street (or is it 11th) and 6th Ave. It's the one where people from overseas order pizzas to be shipped because they are that good. When I ate cheese -- and lived a block away -- I could not resist that place. It isn't for everyone's tastes. They put about a pound of cheese on each slice, and it is a very thick crust. But damn, that is one sick slice. They do a really nice salad slice, also. Salad, their really good marinara and an italian dressing that has olive oil in it. That place used to be a huge weakness of mine. Many of the other Ray's claim to be the original Famous Rays, but they are not.

5. Boom_70

Whatever Rays it was I thought they put way to much cheese on. I preffer thin crust . I have a weakness for a little pizza place on 58th between 6th and 7th just behind the NYAC. May be the best that I've eaten in NY - 21 does not like because it's so close to street it brings in bus fumes but she indulges me.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd say John's on Bleecker, but you can't buy by the slice.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nathan's. Not even close.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

At least we can always get a table...there's only one, outside, next to the bus fumes. Seems no one ever sits there but us. Go figure. 8)

Have to mention one of our favorite places, Rue 57 (6th/57th, I think)....weird sushi/french fusion deal, always packed, outstanding food.

Also Mercer Kitchen...completely overpriced, but a great subterranean experience if you like long tables with strangers and no windows.

But nothing tops the falafel cart across from the Hilton. I have no idea what goes on there, but the line is always a block long, even at midnight.

9. The Big Ragu

If you like a thin crust, they are going to be sit down, by the pie places. I go with Grimaldi's underneath the Brooklyn Bridge on Old Fulton in Brooklyn first. Johns is good, but the one on Bleeker is the best one. Arturos on Houston is really, really, really underrated. Great, hot coal oven. Lombardi's on Spring Street has the rep for being the best in Manhattan, but I put it just behind Grimaldis. And there is always Patsy's, which is serviceable, but in my opinion doesn't maych up with the others on this list.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mercer Kitchen is awful. Patsy's is awful.

Best places that I've been to in the past 5 years or so:

-- Babbo
    -- Union Square Cafe
    -- WD-50
    -- Sushi Seki
    -- Per Se (luckily on someone else's dime)
    -- Cru

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'll second that stretch of 6th Avenue between 49th and 52nd as having a lot of terrific cart food. Something to do with all the corporate headquarters, perhaps. Anyway, if tbf and mrs. tbf are afoot one day in midtown and looking for a quick nosh, that'd be a fast, tasty, inexpensive option.

12. Boom_70

Even though its good I thought we agreed not to admit eating at Rue 57. What will the NYC intellegencia think?

Draft saved Draft deleted