1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's in New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 5, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is INCREDIBLY racist... But at least I am honest... I avoid Indian food. I have just been in one too many cabs in which the combination of smells made me want to retch. I hardly ever will go to an Indian restaurant anymore, and if I do, I eat sparingly. When we were younger, we used to hit up that little India stretch on East 6th Street. It was cool. They'd stand outside and try to get you to come in because the competition was so fierce. And even thought it was never my favorite, my friends loved some of those restaurants. The check would come and it was dirt cheap, too.

It was all fun, until one day I was giving them grief about the food and making veiled hygiene references (I know, I am an asshole), and I totally got to a friend of mine who was normally able to tune me out. I told him that vindalu is the Indian word for squirrel. It completely ruined his meal. But at least his squirrel smothered with curry sauce didn't cost much.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Geez, guys, the moderator of egullet.com's NYC message board is recommending that New Yorkers eat in New Jersey:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=109608

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I troop out to Jerry's in Englewood to buy my Bolognese and my marinated garlic. Does that count?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm in Ragu's corner on this. If you're planning on a trip to NYC, you should indulge yourself in one good meal. But you have to do a little research ahead of time.

I've been to half dozen restaurants on Ragu's list--the Union Square Cafe is still my favourite. It's not extraordinarily expensive but yes, you'll have to book a table well ahead of time.

The city service guides are usually helpful and a lot of them have budget selections as well. If you just wander around a neighbourhoold and just walk into any restaurant, you're flipping an awfully big coin

When in doubt, go to a bar. Most of them serve burgers and sandwiches and it's pretty hard to screw up a burger--well, totally, anyway.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, he is recommending that New Yorker's not be so New York centric that they miss out on good restaurants that NJ has to offer.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu - that's a great list of restaurants. Outside of the steak houses the Blue Water Grill is one of my favorites.

The problem as Frank points out is the middle of the road places. Its a moving target. What could be great one week could be closed the next by the board of health.

I still think part of fun of experiencing NY is fending for yourself in finding place to eat.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Oh, I just linked to it for giggles, Goo. But I lurk there and Fat Guy knows his stuff.

Point is, for every world-class restaurant in Manhattan, there are 100 that blow, and about 10 percent of those will make you blow chunks on the sidewalk after you finish. And if you want authentic, non-mainstream ethnic food, you probably need to go to Brooklyn, Queens or New Jersey to get it.

Great restaurant city? Yeah, if you're wealthy, and famous enough to have clout with the reservations. Otherwise, you need to be careful.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That goes for about every major city in the world.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One service I've found worth it is the AMEX conceriage service that comes with corporate card.

They have real clout in getting reservations with resturants that are otherwise difficult to get into to.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've posted this before but I specialize in redundancy:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/18

There's extensive discussion of Manhattan dining, plus links to the board for the outer boroughs, plus a search feature which can take you to the threads specific to shrimp balls or whatever you want.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Chowhound was sold to CNET a couple years ago, but the old owner, Jim Leff, still runs the thing as far as content goes. He tends to delete whatever he disagrees with and bans a lot of posters, many of whom have started rival boards, such as egullet.com. I think husband-wife team who started egullet.com are even more pompous and insufferable than Leff, but they do not appear to censor opposing views about food, and I think you'll get a truer picture there.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuckin' moderators.

Draft saved Draft deleted