1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's in New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 5, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There was a thread a while back about someone who did NY in NY. I looked, but couldn't find it.

Anyone got'ny idea about it?

Mrs. tbf and I are staying a couple blocks from Times Square the week after Christmas. We came up with a sort-of unique way to plan the trip, I guess. She plans one day and I plan the next. She decided she wanted to plan all the touristy stuff -- Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc., and told me to plan the unique New York stuff. You know, the not-so-touristy, off-the-beaten-path stuff that we'd like to do.

I've hit a couple of Web sites that cater to those types of ideas, but I haven't been able to come up with much, save a trip to the restaurant where Michael killed McClusky and Sollozzo.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Times Square will be a fucking zoo.

If there's a way you could be in the Marriott Marquis on NYE, there's a restaurant that overlooks Times Square. You'll be able to see the ball drop without being swallowed up by a mass of humanity.

Also, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the restaurant from GF I doesn't exist. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071230175326AAyrnk6

3. three_bags_full

I knew the Luna was closed, but I thought the Louis was a real place, no?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think it was. Maybe people like Casty, spnited or Shockey would know better.

5. three_bags_full

Well, shit.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Whoa there, 3 bags....what happened with your survival training? (If you survived that, you can deal with Times Square on New Years Eve.)

7. That was me who went to New York during New Year's.

It's a blast, but stay away from Times Square. Avoid it like the plague. It's not worth it. Times Square was closed off completely at 8 p.m. We went to Central Park New Year's Eve and had a blast.

There will be about an extra million people in NYC during that time, so every place is more crowded than normal. But you'll have a blast.

PM me if you have any questions.

8. three_bags_full

You may be right, but I'm just concerned about dealing with that many people.

As for the training, most of it was how to deal with a more "one-on-one" situation, if you will. ;)

9. three_bags_full

I was hoping you'd say that. Central Park sounds like a cool idea. Were there any special celebrations there?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You like to cook, so check out Zabar's, Citarella's and Fairway uptown on Broadway, 70s and low 80s. There's a larger Fairway in Harlem, but I don't think you'll need it because you won't really be grocery shopping, just looking for unusual goodies. Upstairs at Zabar's, there's a pretty amazing array of cookware and gadgets. If you go to Greenwich Village, check out Aphrodesia on Bleeker -- tremendous variety of herbs and spices, you'll definitely love that. It won't be at its best that time of year, but the Union Square farmers market is open all year on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

http://www.zabars.com/

http://www.citarella.com/

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

(Note that Fairway does USO care packages)

11. Frank_Ridgeway

You should see Macy's, too. Largest department store in the world, and there's lots of good food stuff and cookware in the basement.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

What are your wife's interests/hobbies?

Draft saved Draft deleted