1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Eve -- Overrated?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

My father's captain in the fire department, who was somewhat of a drinker, used to call New Year's Eve amateur night and said that was the one night he didn't drink.

I remember New year's Eve in 1974 when I went to a party in the house of a woman whom I had a crush on but was going out with somebody else. It was a good party and Catfish Hunter signed with the Yankees on that night. I also remember being with a girl friend in 1980 watching TV with her and her parents, and that was kind of nice. I went to New York a couple of New Year's Eve days, and going to Central Park was a better celebration because they had fireworks and people ran around the park to start the new year.

One good thing about being married is not looking for something to do or somebody to go out with. Last night wasn't good - I had a pretty bad cold and went to bed before midnight.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Mrs. Rossi and I watched that, too.

I now insist that she call me McLovin.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

A random rant;

One of the local clubs me, mamachef, and 4 others went to the other night decided it would be neat to install a stripper's pole.

Yes.

A stripper's pole on a dance floor roughly the size of your living room.

No good can come of this, I say to myself upon the sight of this.

And I was right.

The women......{mamachef excluded} flocked to this silver piece of pipe like cattle to a new bail of hay. Shit, some of the men {chef excluded} even decided to channel their innermost Blue Oyster-like fantasy.

The topper though......some poor lass......upon seeing this piece of pipe protruding from the floor to the roof......goes off on a full sprint towards it, as if she is in the front of the line for a $7.00 DVD Player at Wal-Mart on the day after Thanksgiving........

When she hears the starting gun, she apparently forgot that there were 4 steps going down to the dance floor.......well, let's just say she won't forget they were there anymore.......assholes over elbows......

But, that did not deter the whore who was apparently trying to impress her man for the night......and off she goes on it, looking as awkward as Demi Moore in Striptease.....

Do yourself a favor; If your local club does something stupid like installing a stripper's pole.........take fucking pictures.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Happy new year everybody. Just back from vacation.

Our new years celebration was the same as it has been for the last few years. The same three couples together at the Legume homestead. Lots of finger foods, none of which are healthy, and some card games. In bed by about 12:30. We also spend a good portion of the night worrying about the Legumechild, until we hear the garage door open and we know she's home. I wonder sometimes how long we will worry. I am guessing always.

This year, there were also fireworks, not legal in my state, but carried over the border by brave lawbrekers like myself. They were very large (shot out of a plastic mortar) and very cool. Had about a dozen, but we stopped after four because we thought the neighbors might be getting hacked off.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i celebrated eastern, central, mountain and pacific new years with said mortars. when my new years hit, i stopped at 30 because i could give two shits what the neighbors think of TP, who's quiet as hell the other 364 days a year.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

TP,

That's what I should have told the missus. And I will next year when we get to the leftovers.

Great line...Just great

Thanks

7. Count me in the minority here folks I love New Year's.

Have celebrated it with the same core group of friends — with others mixed in as well — for the past 8-10 years, long before we even thought about drinking the night away. It's always been spent playing some of the best board games, playing pool and darts.

When we gradually became old enough to drink, our rule has been nobody drinks anything until we're all there, then everybody's car keys go into a locked closet so nobody can go driving afterward. And in the last 5 years or so, we've added the tradition of sitting around at 2 or 3 in the morning and sharing memories of the past year and of our years as all being friends. And with a bunch of drunk people, this is a riot.

As we're starting to get older, graduate from college and move on in our lives, New Year's is the one guaranteed night every years that my core group of friends are together. So here's to many many more New Year's Eves.

Happy New Year everybody. Here's to a year of good health, good luck, good decisions and and overall happiness.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you don't let those around you know what a bad neighbor is at least once a year, they'll start taking you for granted. we wouldn't want that.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Totally overrated. Totally amateur hour.
    Covered an event until after midnight, took a cab back from the stadium to the hotel, wandered out, had 2 drinks at a corner bar while watching SportsCenter on the flat-screen TV behind the bar.
    It was my 30th birthday, and it was the most sober I'd been in 5 evenings out in the town covering my team's bowl trip. And I didn't feel like I missed a thing.
    Like someone else said, "Hey, let's pay $50 to go get drunk at one of the same bars we go to all year with more people and worse service! Woo-hoo!"

Draft saved Draft deleted