1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Eve -- Overrated?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 31, 2007.

1. I've never watched Times Square on TV on NYE and said, "Dude, I need to be there."

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Some thoughts, quotes, etc. on New Year's (and Diaz).

A quote a friend sent me earlier this week:
    As everyone knows, even a moderate drinker can veer from normal drinking patterns under holiday pressure to "celebrate" the season. In our family, my cheeky sportswriter father, John Robertson, likes to refer to New Year's Eve as "Amateur Night." According to him, a notorious imbiber turned teetotaler, that's when many of the less practised drinkers used to horn in on his binge-drinker's turf.

New Year's Eve is over-hyped, overpriced and overrated. I hate it.

Tonight, I watched basketball and at midnight went to the master bedroom, kissed the wife of the cheek (after scaring the shit out of her) and almost at the same time we said "I hate New Year's Ever."

As for Diaz. I'm with Tom Petty. She is overrated. And I'll go so far as to say not attractice in the least.

I'll take Drew Barrymore any day.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Came home from work and started watching DVDs. Mr. Cougar arrived home 10 minutes before midnight, we watched the revelry in NYC and are watching Superbad. A coworker of mine put it perfectly when it came to NYE. "It's practically amateur night out there."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for your support, pete. you've always been one of my favorite posters. :D

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Likewise. And you're music rocks, too.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Living in the Central time zone, you start to see the hype of New Year's Eve even more. Everybody celebrates the ball dropping in New York, then we see the pre-recorded clips of Fergie on Rockin' Eve for the next hour. No mention of when the rest of the country turns the calendar. Fuck Dick Clark. We're Americans too, dammit!
    I came to the realization that NYE sucked when I was in college. Never drank, but couldn't see the wisdom in paying $100 to go to a club for the "special New Year's Eve package" that was basically the same as a normal night out with a couple glasses of champagne thrown in at midnight. It just seemed stupid. So, I stayed at home and watched the ball drop on TV.
    I was in New Jersey at the time and thought about going to NYC for the celebration. But, of course, everyone just KNEW about Suzy's daughter's cousin's brother's best friend who was with someone who got mugged up there last year. Or Dave's brother's old college friend's roommate who had gotten stabbed for no reason. No one wanted to go, so I ended up going to a party with a friend of mine. Maybe a hundred people. Pretty cool, until the host kicked everybody out into 15-degree weather -- many without coats, because they were inside -- at 12:15. That bitch deserves to rot alongside Dick Clark.

As for this NYE, the wife and I went to a dinner and a movie. We rented a DVD, watched Robbie Maddison defy death not once, but twice, then popped in the movie around 11:30. During the opening credits I happened to look up and notice it was midnight. We told each other Happy New Year and then got to watching the flick. Good times!

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Spent the night hanging out with friends. We drank, we played games, we hoped that biker guy would go splat on ESPN last night. It was one of the best I've had in a while. There have been a few other NYE's that still stick out in my mind for the fun that was had. Not so much the booze and drinking, though some years there was that, but just for being with friends and ending the year on a good note, even if the note was nearly identical to numerous other nights.

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Made some wonderful memories in South Lake Tahoe last night. I hadn't experienced a really special New Year's Eve in a couple years, so it was nice not being too drunk. I'll definitely remember this NYE for a long time.

And I'm making every effort to be in Tahoe each New Year's from now on. Good times.

As far as NYE being overrated, it will probably seem more and more so to me as I age, especially by the time I've raised kids.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We were there once. Well, by "there" -- the closest we could get was wedged against the wall of the bus terminal at 42nd and Eighth Ave. It was a bit frightening. You really can't move much. The thought hit me that if there were some kind of incident that scared the crowd, it would be easy to be trampled or crushed to death against the side of the building. The people around us were well-behaved within reason; they were mostly drunk, but I didn't encounter anyone who seemed to be going out of his way to create problems. But still. This was quite a few years before 9/11, but there still was the realization that the potential for something awful was one shove away. I was very relieved to get out of there.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah, Port Authority. That's nowhere near. There's no way I would fight that crowd and piss myself for 18 hours and not even see the ball drop.

It was kind of cool last night to realize they were all performing right outside of where I was just a week ago. Saw my hotel on the air a couple times. Definitely cool.

11. Actually, some type of terrorist attack is what I think of when I see all those dolts out there ...

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was in a Mardi Gras crowd like that in New Orleans once. Friday night of the big weekend, and the closest you could get to Bourbon Street was half a block. The crowd moved, you moved, and when you hit one of the few clearings in the crowd you did your best to make sure everybody in your group was still with you. That's not even fun, it's just terrifying.

Draft saved Draft deleted