1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Eve -- Overrated?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 31, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Absolutely overrated. Like Inky said, it's amateur night.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I'm 27, single and thrilled to be working both New Years Eve and Day (except I'm somewhat scared that some drunken clown is going to ruin my commute when I get out of work tonight). New Years has always been one of the most useless "holidays" for me -- Halloween wasn't always, but it certainly is now. The only good thing I see about New Years is the onslaught of college football.

3. New Year's Eve always meant spending the entire night looking for the party that didn't suck. I never found it.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you think both of them will make it to midnight?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I only have one good New Years Eve party memory. It involved a lot of alcohol and shooting fireworks in the middle of the ghetto, mostly with people I didn't know. I still am prone to fits of laughter when I think about that night.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Your New Years celebration at home sounds quite nice.

Yes, it's overrated. My wife and I have never made a big deal about. I'll head to bed at 10, the same as every night. Wake up at 5 a.m. and probably head to the office to take advantage of a quiet newsroom for a few hours. Might watch a game or two if I have time.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Spent several New Year's Eves in the 1990s going to a Southside Johnny & the Jukes concert.
    Think I went to a NYE party once in my life, maybe twice.
    Otherwise they've been quiet ones - dinner at home then out to the movie theater, dinner out then off to the movie theater, or just a quiet night in with the wife (or in the pre-married days, girl friend)

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Always thought it's pretty overrated. This one will be spent bowling on the Wii with my son while listening to the dogs next door bark.

One vivid NYE memory - I worked at Disneyland during breaks in college. I was working on New Year's Eve in 1985, I believe, and ended up doing crowd control for the Klymaxx concert on the drawbridge to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. I was standing directly in front of the stage facing the crowd during "Meetin' in the Ladies' Room" when i felt something around my neck and was yanked backwards. I looked up... and the lead singer was holding my head, singing the chorus to me. She had pulled me back with the mic cord. After the set she ran over to me and yelled "You have a happy new year, honey!"

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Historically overrated.

As others have posted, it's amateur hour. Let's all get together, drink up a storm and then puke on the corner! Whee! It's fun!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Drive past Fraser's Pub in Ann Arbor tonight and you'll see it closed -- just like it's been every New Year's Eve for 35 years.
    They close at 6 p.m because they don't want to deal with the liability of tonight. They know they won't get busy until after 11 and become packed. Then after 12:15 until 2:30, it will be dead again. And at 2:15, all the EXTREMELY drunk people will come in and drink until 4 -- all 10 of them (Michigan allows 4 a.m. last call on NYE). And so they don't be the last stop of the night and the one the lawyers go after when one assclown gets in the accident for overserving, they close at 6.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

O-ver-ra-ted (clap, clap, clapclapclap). Sheesh, I'm here 20 min before the clock turns...

I never do anything for NYE, get that from my parents, who have done bubbly and fondue at home for 35 years. And my old man was the kind of guy who had some pretty good benders in his day, but he always called NYE "Amateur Night" and wanted no part of it.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Way, way, way overrated.

Still, I'm letting nearly everyone out of here early to go where they want or to get home before all the clowns get behind the wheels.

Draft saved Draft deleted