1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Eve dinner suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by danhawks, Dec 30, 2007.

1. danhawks

danhawks Member

Just me and the GF tomorrow night, going to hit up Wegmans tomorrow morning...any suggestions for a nice menu?
    I've already got shrimp on the list and a bottle of champagne in the fridge...

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Re: New Year's Eve dinner suggestions

Chocolate covered strawberries!!!

Even better get fresh strawberries, melt your own chocolate and do a nice little fondue thingy after dinner.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Re: New Year's Eve dinner suggestions

Do you cook for her often? If you don't cook for her often, stick with something you've done before, that you do well.

Are you using the shrimp for shrimp cocktail or as an entree?

4. danhawks

danhawks Member

just as part of a selection of finger foods, perhaps...

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Lobster on New Year's Eve is our traditional entree. We don't run the risk of dealing with inebriated drivers; we always stay in.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Finger foods, that's good. I like that. My New Year's resolution is to make a meal of finger foods once a month. Recently introduced my wife to frozen pizza rolls. We saw them on TV and my wife said she'd never had them, so I went right to the 7-Eleven that very minute and bought some. Only they weren't very good. Next time, though, I'll buy some frozen pizza dough and make them myself.

Cocktail meatballs -- not very difficult, very tasty. Some exotic cheeses. Raw veggies with dip. Homemade guacamole. Maybe some kabob things on little wood skewers. Wings.

I was at a catered cocktail party a few years ago and they served lamb chops as a finger food, which I thought was very weird and messy. But damn they were good. Everybody was dressed up yet going all Hannibal Lecter on the appetizers. Screw the puff pastry things.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unless it's pigs in blankets.

Mmm. Pigs in blankets.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Do the fondue thingy for dinner (shrimp, chicken, meat, veggies) and then also do it for dessert with melted chocolate, strawberries, marshmellows, mellon, banana, etc.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Feels like an Arby's night.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It starts with grill and I grill 12 months a year. Lobster tails are usually on sale New Year's Eve. Surf and Turf is easy and special.

Even if the lobster tails are frozen, get them. Keep them in a zip lock baggie and let them defrost in your kitched\n sink filled with room temp tap water. When defrosted, grill them with a a couple of NY Strips. Throw 2 big Idaho potatoes in the oven for an hour at 400 and serve with some Romain lettuce and Caesar dressing. Serve with fresh bread and a nice bottle of Cab.
    Buy some Haagen Daaz vanilla ice cream, wet walnuts, hot fudge, strawberries and whipped cream and make sundaes for dessert. Chicks dig hot fudge sundaes.

Then fuck her brains out all over the house. Chicks dig that, too.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I found a recipe for pizza rolls in an appetizer book my mom got over Christmas and it called for putting them into an eggroll shell and then cooking them in hot oil. I think we'll do that.

We'll probably also chop up veggies and do a dip, make homemade calzones, and do a couple other finger foods.

Draft saved Draft deleted