1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Day bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 1, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Crazy INT play, followed by Stanzi getting greedy and going for the home run ball.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tough break there. Couldn't find an open defensive back.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only redeeming aspect of lower bowl games is how wide open some coaches call the plays.

5. dixiehack

Paul Dietzel and Lou Holtz are waiting in the locker room to offer Steve Spurrier a cold one. You. Can. Not. Win. Big. In. Columbia.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. The bowls are ruined as far as I'm concerned. I've always liked Georgia, so I might watch that game, even though it's a nothing matchup. Penn State-USC is a little interesting, but there's no great game.

I love college football. I fucking hate the bowls in their current state. It was better the old way 20 years ago.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is South Carolina the only program Holtz did not leave in burning ruins after he left?

8. dixiehack

I don't even have to have great matchups. Just give me a bunch of them on this day, and make to where there are at least two games to choose from at a given time, instead of the multicar pileup we'll have at the top of the hour.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. I always loved waking up and having four games to choose from (Cotton, Citrus, Peach, HOF), before having two to choose from (Rose, some other), then having another three (Fiesta, Sugar, Orange). Because it's not like they're all going to be great games, the options came in handy.

I wish we had an option tonight, when Cincy-VaTech is the only game in prime time. Pass.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my dream-world playoff bowl scenario, the quarterfinals would be played on New Year's Day.

Orange, 11 a.m.

Sugar, 2 p.m.

Cotton, 5 p.m.

Rose, 8 p.m.

Then the semis and finals following 7-17 days later.

11. dixiehack

Seriously, if I'm running something like the Holiday Bowl or the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, why not declare myself a Jan. 1 bowl and get a TV contract for a late afternoon slot? If ESPN doesn't want to show it, somebody will.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wonder if the Holiday Bowl won't do it because it features the Pac-10 No. 2/3 and they don't want it competing with the Pac-10 No. 1 in the Rose Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted