1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Year's Day bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

We have BCS and non-BCS bowls on tap, so I figured we could put aside the non-BCS bowl thread today and have one for all of today's games:

11 a.m. -- Outback: Iowa vs. South Carolina (ESPN)

1 p.m. -- Capital One: Michigan State vs. Georgia (ABC)

1 p.m. -- Gator: Clemson vs. Nebraska (CBS)

5 p.m. -- Rose: Penn State vs. USC (ABC)

8:30 p.m. -- Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati (Fox)

Who you got?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

New Year's Day has about gone to crap as far as bowl games are concerned. I wish somebody would get the guts to program against the Rose Bowl so there would be something to switch over to after USC take its customary 3-TD lead.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but blame the Sugar Bowl, which in typical SEC we-think-we're-better-than-you-but-really-not fashion has to play on Jan. 2 every year instead of the 1st. And fuck you too, Fiesta Bowl...
    But because the BCS forces everything into a nice, neat package, we dare not hold games at their traditional time, but a made-for-TV time...

Fuck you, BCS

4. Johnny Dangerously

I should take a poll: Do you refer to the Sugar Bowl (and this year, the Cotton Bowl) as New Year's Day bowls despite their not being played on Jan. 1? Some papers do, some papers don't.

I'm in the latter camp. Yes, they used to be traditional New Year's Day bowls, but if they're not played on Jan. 1, they're not a New Year's Day bowl.

I used to think you could suggest some sort of prestige by saying "playing in a January bowl" or "playing in a bowl in the New Year" ... but with the International Bowl and the GMAC Bowl in that group, that's sort of shot to hell.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

MLB Network will show Don Larsen's perfect game from the '57 World Series at 7 p.m. ET. :D

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Nice drive by the Hawks to take the 7-0 lead on Ball Coach.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Outstanding. Hey java man, do they have a decent listing of their programming schedule somewhere? If they do stuff like that on a regular basis, I'll have to start paying attention.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

We've got the Outback and Rose on live here in Indonesia ... not sure if I'll be able to last until 5 a.m. for the Rose, though.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I just push the GUIDE button on the DirecTV remote. You're on your own. :D

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Cocky about to be depantsed for the third game in a row. Maybe Spurrier needs to follow Tater Tot to the Gulf South Conference.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Hey Ball Coach, Rob Zook is on line 1. He wants to let you know that Iowa didn't come to enjoy the sun and the warm weather.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Who is Rob Zook?

And there goes another turnover. Yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted