1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yankee Stadium -- No Mojo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The last Bruins game I went to was in 1989. I sat in the last row of the balcony behind one of the goals. To get a good view, I squatted on the back of the seat and held on to a girder a foot or two over my head.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is precisely what happened when the Dolphins left the Orange Bowl for Joe Robbie Stadium. Lost all those special ingredients that can be a difference in a close, close affair.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's one thing I've had an issue with the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. As beautiful as it is, and as important it is to remember Robinson's sacrifices, still, he was a DODGER. It's like the Mets are trying to latch onto the Brooklyn Dodgers' history.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Gee, Michael Kay couldn't say enough good things about the place on YES.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Mets have always tried to tie into New York's National League history, which is quite illustrious. And to be fair, a lot of old Dodger/Giant fans did become Mets fans in the 1960s (spnited can attest to that.) So it's not unwarranted. After all, Robinson is a New York guy. He never played in L.A. -- besides, the Dodgers are keeping busy trying to forget their Brooklyn past these days anyway.

This current obsession can be blamed on Fred Wilpon and his ilk. It's all that Boys of Summer/Golden Age crap that his generation has been fostering on the rest of us for a long time now. You can blame Billy Crystal, too. (You know, just because.)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for blaming Billy Crystal. Whenever possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But most of those fans are either dead or senile like spitted.

That "ilk " you refer to are easily identified by their suits and Brooklyn Dodger hats. They populate both NYC and LA - many in the entertainment industry.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know. But he's not a shill. Just ask him.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, my Mom was a huge Dodger fan. Gave up baseball completely until the Mets came around.

But, as Boom notes (not specifically), she's been dead for a while.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A column moved last night comparing New Yankee Stadium to classic British TV.

And if you're thinking <i>Upstairs, Downstairs</i> before I could finish typing this post, you're good.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/134/story/668189.html (link's from Charlotte, story's from AP)

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Apparently, Boom and the gang made some noise.

http://deadspin.com/5216238/the-dislike-for-carl-pavano-was-closed+captioned-for-the-hearing-impaired

Draft saved Draft deleted