1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yankee Stadium -- No Mojo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Went to opening day and initial reaction is the building while very nice does not have the crowd energy that was a hallmark of the old stadium.

Compared to past opening days there was very little noise even thought it was a tight game through 7.

When Sabathia got in a 2 strike 2 out situation very few bothered to stand and yell. In past you would have the entire stadium yelling.

Most likely reason is that the Yankees have priced out many of their most vocal fans.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Happens everywhere.

I felt the same way the first time I went to Miller Park. It lacked County Stadium's soul.

For Yankee Stadium, with its history, etc., I imagine its far more so.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

no doubt.

wait until the giants and jets open their new psl-driven digs in 2010. they'll have to pump in crowd noise.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How heartbreaking.

I have yet to hear anyone who says the Yanks' new digs are better than the Mets'.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is there any hope it will get better Boom? Or do you get the feeling this is how it's going to be now.

6. JR

JR Active Member

It sounds like the Air Canada Centre where corporate Canada has a monopoly on all the overpriced platinum seats in the lower bowl, the suits sit on their hands and arrive late for the start of each period, leaving a whole swath of empty seats for the cameras.

A friend of HC's was actually shushed by a woman during a playoff game when he was apparently making too much noise down in those seats.

7. Boom_70

I think its going to be like that for a while. Like many of the new stadiums the focus has switched from baseball to more of a social event-- people jumping in and out of the various bars and restaurants and watching game on tv.

It was disconcerting to get a "down in front' when the folks I was with all stood and clapped the first time CC got in a 2 out 2 strike situation.

One think for sure you know you are at Yankee stadium when you walk in . One criticism I keep hearing from Met fans is that they feel there is not enough focus on past Met teams. It feels more like a tribute to the old Dodgers.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

funny, i've heard the opposite -- that the new yankee stadium is beautiful (mojo aside) but that the new mets' digs is too much of a homage to ebbetts field and has sightline issues. interesting. :-\ :-\ :-\

9. Boom_70

"The mound is crooked" / Mike Pelfrey

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How many empty seats in the Big Ticket areas?

11. Boom_70

Less than I would have guessed.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let's see what happens the rest of the week...

Draft saved Draft deleted