1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yahoo! CEO is 37 ... and pregnant!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The 'attractiveness card'?? Seriously? She's attractive. What would you suggest, putting a bag over her head and dressing her in a lawn bag? Maybe have her legs amputated so you don't have to be tortured by them?

No clue how some of you exist with real women in the real world. No clue at all.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know how some women exist in the real world not admitting women use looks to their advantage, like Mayer does.

BTW, I was not rating her looks. It's interesting that rating attractiveness is OK in the Bobby Petrino thread but doing so here makes this it's a joke, because we all know this thread is the one that pushes SPJ.com into joke territory.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, come on. Really? She was Google employee No. 20. Rose up through the ranks. By everything I've read, she's bright, knows what she's doing and this has been classified as a very good, if not great, hire by Yahoo. She knows the disarray that has been at Yahoo for years, with the previous CEO getting shit-canned because he lied/wasn't forthcoming. She told the board she was pregnant. They still hired her. Good for her. And good for the board.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know, there are TONS of attractive women who get to be CEOs of companies like Yahoo because they're attractive.

Guess what, attractive works both ways. You can be gorgeous and brilliant, and instead of being recognized for your work, there's always going to be some schmuck who just sees tits and a great pair of legs.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Jesus, Stitch. So it's a knock against her for wanting to look attractive? Because, what? Playing up her frumpy side is a better, smarter idea? What, exactly, do you recommend she does?

Ugh.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't know about the rest of you Uggos, but I owe much of my professional success to my good looks. Just the way the world works, people. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

To be fair, he was not suggesting that it was "a knock", instead his implication was essentially the opposite, that it was an asset she'd used to her advantage when beneficial. And nowhere did he suggest that she wasn't otherwise qualified and deserving of the position.

I don't know whether Stitch's suggestion is true or not, but if so, it would hardly be a shocking thing. From the couple pics here, there certainly is a striking appearance difference from nearly every other Fortune 500 CEO I've seen. Might that have helped along the way, I don't know, but it would hardly be an unprecedented thing if it had. That factor is an unspoken difference-maker in countless business and personnel decisions every day.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm pretty familiar with the tech industry, even if I don't know any players besides a couple of well-known tech journalists. Mayer has been in the spotlight for several years and tends to get more publicity than pretty much any other VP of a tech company (or any company for that matter). Part of that spotlight had to do with dating Larry Page, which seems to explain why she's was cast out of the Google inner circle when he took over as CEO.

Mayer also happens to be the Googirl.

[​IMG]

http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/the-adventures-of-marissa
    http://gawker.com/362143/googirl-article-vanishes-from-web

More good and bad on Mayer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-truth-about-marissa-mayer-she-has-two-contrasting-reputations-2012-7

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just think, if she was 21 years younger, she could get a reality show.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Stitch, you have the subtlety of a gorilla in a feces-and-bananas store.

Anyway, I side with Amy on this one: It was the company's responsibility, even if she had shown up to the interview with a clear-as-day baby bump, not to ask. And it was Meyer's ethical (but not legal) responsibility to tell. You don't want to start a job off on that kind of foot. That goes for any job, including and especially a high-paying, high-powered job where your task is to save a multibillion dollar corporation.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single time where I saw a debate about whether a man got a CEO/CFO/other high level position because of his looks. (When Jack Welch was leaving GE there was an article that discussed who was the best golfer of the three candidates for his replacement, though. Well, there was the article that discussed our former CFO and described him as "powerfully built" when the truth is he's really short and squat and trolly looking. I think the guys at work found this funnier than I did.)

I happen to like that attractive women are getting high level positions. Eventually there will be enough (As more women get these positions I think just naturally there will be more that are also considered attractive even by SportsJournalists.com standards) that you won't be able to explain all of the attractive ones as being there only due to their looks.

Generally, it seems like no matter what a woman in a leadership position looks like she gets criticized. (Unless she is a U.S. Supreme Court justice. I've never heard anybody slam O'Connor, Sotomayor, Kagan, or Ginsburg because they aren't pretty.) If she's too attractive, the "using her looks" or worse gets thrown around. If she's not good looking - and is controversial - jokes are made about how ugly she is. Poster child - Clinton.

I hate this topic. Whether I like it or not, how a woman looks does have implications - good and bad - in the business world.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the new CEO of Yahoo!

[​IMG]

Just because.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted