1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yahoo! CEO is 37 ... and pregnant!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 17, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/16/mayer-yahoo-ceo-pregnant/

Kind of an interesting sidelight here to the announcement that Marissa Mayer comes over from Google as the latest person charged with saving the company. I'm sure she will vault into that ongoing national discussion based on the Atlantic piece about women "having it all."

Story says she did disclose it to the board before she was hired.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but I'm guessing this would have to be a first (or close to it) at a Fortune 500 company. Sign of the times they are a-changin'.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Geez, never mind all that... She's smokin' hot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You wonder why a smart woman like Mayer would jump ship to Yahoo! She knew she likely reached the ceiling at Google, so I'm guessing she wanted a big challenge.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Considering pregnancy is not a permanent condition, I assume they expect she'll have the baby in two months, and return to the office as a working mother, just like all the other working mothers, some of whom are also CEOs.

Not being snarky with you, just seems insulting that this has become part of the story.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I agree.

She works for a web based company. Telecommute for a couple months while the baby is napping.

Done and done.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If it's not a huge deal, why the exclamation point?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yahoo! always takes an exclamation point. :)

I found it interesting. Not something you would have probably ever said about a CEO who has ever been hired by a Fortune 500 company. Maybe I am just too liberal with the sprinkling of explanation points.

21 -- yeah, I didn't mean to imply there were going to be huge drawbacks to the company, in fact that's why I noted that she told the board all about this. But, again, you don't often run across something like this.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I still think I've made the most relevant point on this thread.

Just sayin.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I give her five years.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I give her 18 months.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I think she's a 4.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Being a CEO, it's not like she has to worry about paying for a nanny or taking a day off when the baby is sick.

There are millions of working women who are justified in having those concerns. A CEO isn't one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted