1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Wilco

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 2, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That makes two of us, PC.

And as I posted on the music thread, anyone who's enjoyed Wilco albums over the past 15 years will find something they like on The Whole Love.

I'm hoping they will have some western U.S. tour dates in 2012.

2. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Been getting a little bored about halfway through it.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I will not give in to the peer pressure. You can't make me like it.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's OK. We'll always have DBT ... and the White Sox. :)

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Going to see the Warren Haynes Band next weekend. Ever seen him without the Mule?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That made my night. Thank you. :)

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, that was hilarious. I will give the new album another spin just for that awesome evisceration.

And watching Tweedy there made me realize just how different the personalities of he and Farrar are. It's no wonder their partnership was doomed and they no longer speak.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, Art of Almost might be as good as anything Wilco has ever done. The slow-building momentum, the transitions, the drum work ... just an all-out banger.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

If I listened to that song while watching an episode of "Breaking Bad," my heart might explode!

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Coming around on this one. Listened to Art of Almost again yesterday, and that last few minutes is incredible. But mostly, I'm digging this album because it calms our 2-month-old. Thanks, Jeff.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I read an article looking back at Uncle Tupelo 10 years after they'd broken up, and it's pretty obvious the blame can be pinned entirely on Farrar. Tweedy said when their records would come out, they'd have to sit for interviews, and because Farrar didn't give a shit about awkward silences, he'd just sit there and say nothing. So Tweedy would sort of step up to fill in some of the silence, talk about the band, etc. And as they got older, and Tweedy started to actually want to write more and sing more, Farrar resented the entire thing. Tweedy felt like Farrar seemed to want him to stay 17 and play bad guitar in the background forever. It's sort of a shame they couldn't at least amicably part. I mean, I know it's still frustrating that Isbell was essentially forced out of DBT because both Cooley and Patterson didn't feel like there was room for a third songwriter getting five tracks on every album (and obviously the whole Shauna thing played a role), but at least they parted on mostly good terms. Hell, Isbell even sat in and played guitar at a show in Athens with them earlier this year. Farrar and Tweedy haven't even spoken in like 15 years.

If you've ever read that article in SPIN that Klosterman wrote about Tweedy just as A Ghost Is Born was coming out (it's in one of Klosterman's books), Klosterman asks Tweedy if he ever listens to Son Volt, and Tweedy says he does a lot and he always wanted to hear what Farrar was doing artistically, even when they weren't speaking for 15 years, and Tweedy recounts reading some interview with Farrar where Farrar said he has no interest in listening to any Wilco record. Tweedy sounds a little heartbroken by the way Farrar still seems to view him as an inferior sellout.

I haven't bought the new Wilco cause I ain't got a dollar to spare these days, but I've streamed it a few times and have loved it. And I thought Wilco (The Album) was horrid.

Draft saved Draft deleted