1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New White Sox press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Sucks for them, then. Maybe the writers can catch the game on TV or radio. [/ducking]

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, to some extent....but:

Newspaper people say 'we are not the story.' Yet every paper now has a media column/report....devoted to radio/TV folk who apparently ARE the story, if they merit a column devoted exclusively to their work. If you treat your local media as 'newsworthy,' then you have very much made them part of the story.

And if newspapers can run columns critiquing/discussing the work of radio/tv people, who do we care if some message board fans (or radio/tv people, for that matter) critique/discuss the work of print people?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They can discuss the work of print people all they want. But posting shit like, "They're a bunch of crybabies who complain when they get into the game for free" doesn't have a lot of value.

Nor does Chris L's lame calling Shaughnessy "Chinless Wonder."

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No different from print people calling tv people 'vidiots'....etc.

We do, however, agree about Lasorda.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Not a lot of print people writing under names like "SoxNationForever." Or "Chris L" for that matter.

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

I don't know - that seems more like button-pushing among siblings. The White Sox fan board thing show how little the people we work for understand what we do. I think most of us understand TV people and vice versa. We hyperbolize for effect.

I liked the White Sox post about how we don't cover business or crime. Meanwhile, every Sox beat writer was forced to chase around Juan Uribe's legal wranglings all winter long.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I don't know if I can eat spaghetti again.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

When Bob Costas first started working, the story goes, he was paired with Martzke in St. Louis, and Martzke treated him like shit.

Later, when Costas became became the Effin Stud he is, Martzke took a lot of the credit, saying in effect: "I brought that boy along."

9. Smasher_Sloan

Martzke was director of operations for the ABA team in St. Louis and had a hand in hiring Costas for the pbp job.

Costas was fresh out of Syracuse and had very little experience.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In "Loose Balls", Terry Pluto's great book about the ABA, Costas tells how when he was first introduced to Jack Buck, Buck's greeting was, "I have ties older than you."

Draft saved Draft deleted