1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New White Sox press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 7, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man I hope I someday run a TV network. Because THAT reality show is getting the green fucking light.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

OK, I'll take the bait. Did he really do that?

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I guess I could be a bit more specific.

"Hey, you in Section 3, Seat 28. Yeah, you. Put down that third fuckin' hotdog and get up here. You've got a gamer and some notes to write. Get in the lockeroom now and then up to the press box. Deadline is 9 for the state edition and rewrite whatever you sent by 11:15 for the final.

"No, you can't sit here and watch the game. No, you can't call your wife for writing help. You don't know how to type? I guess your index fingers will be bloody. Get going. Batting practice ends in 20 minutes and you still need to get some notes."

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yep. Just Tommy being Tommy.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

C'mon Shottie,

How much training would you really need to forget to put my fries in thae bag at the drive thru?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

A possible reason for hope would be if the radio folks got involved.

Baseball fans generally love listening to games on radio. And isn't it frustrating when the pxp guy doesn't (or can't) tell you what's going on? If you've never experienced this frustration, just listen to Don Sutton do pxp on radio. ;D

A few choice words from the radio folk along the lines of, "Sorry fans, I can't see the action from where we're sitting..." And I betcha the fans become more sympathetic. Then the club's PR department potentially starts rethinking things.

So hug a local radio broadcaster today. :p

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it's Finebaum, can it be with his neck in my elbow?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sort of a tangential issue (and not about this specific thread), but if you believe 'we are not the story,' how do you justify the creation of the 'Media Columnist'?

I have so many thoughts on this I can't even sort them into this post, but interested in other perspectives.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the column the Sox didn't move the radio or TV booths. Just the press box.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Interesting. I also find it interesting that it's among the first things I read in my paper Sunday morning.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd suggest that there's a difference between debate over who does a good job, who is worth reading/listening to, and an interest in how they go about doing their jobs.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Rudy Martzke made quite a name for himself as a media, albeit tv, columnist in USA Today. I always loved the backhanded compliments he received, like this one from the late Dick Schaap:

"Rudy Martzke is one of the most influential reporters in America, and the fact that he has reached this prestigious position without displaying taste, judgment or grace in the use of the English language is some tribute to Rudy Martzke."

Draft saved Draft deleted