1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New White Sox press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What job?

That's what 99.44 percent of fans think.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Those are people who have never seen Tommy Lasorda naked, eating spaghetti with his fingers.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Doesn't make them right.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I quit.

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

This is a no-win scenario for us and it will get worse when (say it with me) Bud Selig retires. Fans will be quick to either, A) ignore; or B) trash any column where a writer complains about losing the best seat in the house. Clubs won't care because they're making money by selling those seats. You either swallow hard and continue to go to the ballpark, or (for columnists) find something else to write about. That doesn't really work if your team is in the race, though, and fans want to read all about it. Like I said, this is a no-win scenario.

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Again - Teddy Greenstein is a media columnist. It's not like Rick Morrissey wrote a column about this.

Also, note that when he quoted Phil Arvia, an actual columnist, Arvia's response was to say that he'd do the same thing if he was the team.

BTW, looks like the White Sox fans out there are definitely on board with the media on this one:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86015

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I love it when fans side with the club.

I wouldn't expect them to care about the media ("You get a free pass to the game," like we'd be at a September game between the Royals and Devil Rays if we weren't working), but if they resent that, why don't they resent the club charging them $5 for a Coke? Or a $6 "handling fee" when they order tickets?

They might be annoyed with us, but they're getting fucked by the franchise.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I found that White Sox fans' board thread intriguing.

It just amazes me that the typical guy on the street believes he could go to a White Sox game tomorrow and cover it just like the beat writers. And really, that's the way most of them think. They think being a sportswriter requires no skill at all.

I find this outlook to be just mind-boggling. I don't think that I could show up at a steel mill tomorrow and do the job; I don't know how. I don't think I could step into a courtroom and try a case. I don't think I could work at McDonald's without training, for God's sake.

And I won't even get into how they look at it like all sportswriters are fans up there in the press box, supposed to be rooting the home team to another victory.

It just pisses me off. Fucka buncha fans.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to take an average guy to a game, give him a laptop and score sheet, then have him do the job under deadline pressure while the wife calls to say your kid's sick and the car is making a thumpa-thumpa noise.

Filming it, of course, to show to every other dickhead fanboy that it's not like they think it is.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm with you, that was really scary to read. I understand fans always attack the media for any perceived slight of their team, and I've learned to expect no more, but to see how misguided they are about the profession is baffling. I didn't know we were all making six figures and getting to watch the games for free, and then getting paid to write about them after. Or that columnists just watch the games for free and don't work. And that college journalist's input: wow, just wow.

11. To be fair, the fan might have been referring to a guy we all love around here -- Mariotti. The fan may have a point if you consider that.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, the fan on that message board believes that all sportswriters are Mariotti. I agree with you.

Which makes it all the more amazing that we don't believe all carmakers are Lee Iacocca.

Draft saved Draft deleted