1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Washington Post Executive Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Marcus Brauchli is out and Marty Baron comes down from the Boston Globe. Before Boston, Marty ran the newsroom at the Miami Herald.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/11/13/baron-named-washington-post-executive-editor/

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Comment Moddy?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why on earth would I comment?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Speaking strictly as a reader, not as a former journalist, the Globe under Baron has slipped gently but markedly in quality in his tenure. There are still plenty of good journalists doing fine work at the paper, but overall, the fact is Boston is a much more interesting place than you would think if your only exposure to it was the Globe.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just thought you might have a take on it.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't work at the Post (though it has been one of my favorite papers my entire life and remains one of my favorites). I don't know any of the people involved.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good enough. From a competition standpoint, I was curious to see if you had a take. Nothing more.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is that because Marty Baron is a bad editor or inevitable given the cutbacks all papers have faced?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

all that much more reason for him to say: "Why on earth would I comment?"

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not really TP but just wanted to see if he had a take on it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What was the take on Baron inside the Globe, and inside the Miami Herald before that?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ok, bud.

Draft saved Draft deleted