1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Van Halen album...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Anyone pick this one up or download it? I've heard good things, though their first single "Tattoo" was underwhelming.

Apparently they re-visited some old demos from the late 70s for inclusion on the album. I plan on picking it up tonight and hoping for the best.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Heard it once. I am a huge fan of VH with Diamond Dave out front and while it certainly isn't up there with their best albums it has its moments. The old demos certainly give it a feel back to their first couple of albums. Michael Anthony is definitely missed here.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't know about Van Halen, but I am certainly becoming fond of AreaMan's avatar.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's OK. Has its moments. If it came right after "1984" you'd be disappointed. 28 years later, it's as good as anyone could reasonably suspect.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm going to see them live in March, very excited.

Though, I've heard that they've put on some terrible shows in the past.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's got that patented VH rhythmic crunch, some decent shredding by Eddie and a fair approximation of Diamond Dave's vocals at their best and these days that's enough for me.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Same here. :D

And "Tattoo" sucks. That song is awful.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, how did Kool and the Gang end up as their opening act?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thirded. On both counts.
    AreaMan, care to comment?

Saw VH on the 2008(?) tour, and it was a fun show, but it was a little embarrassing watching Diamond Dave prancing around like that at his age, and the vocals weren't great. Will be picking this up, and I'm sure I'll enjoy and just be happy to have something new from them.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm 2/3 through the album and Tattoo is by far the worst thing on the album.

Yes, it has its moments. Never a huge Van Halen fan, but this is in the mold of the 70s stuff I did like. Very up tempo with a lot of cool guitar effects (remember those?).

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Possibly the oddest pairing in the history of rock recorded music.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not quite.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted