1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New UT beat writer in Nashville yet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I was curious if anyone knows anything about this job. I know Chris Low moved over to VolQuest recently, but I hadn't heard yet who was replacing him. Anyone heard anything new? Big shoes to fill for whoever gets it. Very competitive beat.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I had heard they were going after the Vols' AP writer, though I'm not sure of her level of interest. Can't think of her name at the moment.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Latest I heard was that corporate told them they had to hire internally. No one on the staff, however, was interested in moving to Knoxville and competing with Low and the Knox News-Sentinel. Even the prep people passed.

4. If that's true, the Tennessean is going to get drummed this fall.

Elizabeth took a PR job at UT--not in SID, but on the academic end.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. From covering to working at UT? Interesting, to say the least.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The prep people passed? If that's true, I think I've found a group up people in need of a testicle implant.

Yeah it would have been tough, but so what? If you're a pro ballplayers, you don't tell your organization, "Yeah, thanks for the invite up to the majors, but I'm gonna pass. The pitching looks too good. I'll just stay down here in Double-A, thank you very much."

Sheesh.

I hope that's not true.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm sure quality of life issues have something to do with it as well. Nashville is one of the most liveable big cities in the country. Knoxville is a college town. Big, big step down as far as I'm concerned.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I guess, but sheesh. It would have been a big, big step up for one of those prepsters, would it not have been?

I guess I'm just kind of flabbergasted because I made the same kind of jump not too long ago at my paper -- from preps to the state's top college town. It was too good a career move to pass up, even if it was going to be harder work and I was going to have to move.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But not everyone is looking for the same kind of career move. Pretty much everyone playing baseball wants to make the major leagues. I know plenty of people who feel comfortable with what they're doing and want to continue doing it.

I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be happier at a smaller paper, with less pressure and actual days without my phone ringing.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, you're probably right. And there's nothing wrong with preps. In a different life, if all I covered was preps until I died, I would have still be happy.

I just can't believe the Tennessean can't find one person on staff who wants to take the step up and cover what has got to be one of the biggest beats at that entire paper.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Point made. It is somewhat surprising. But you just acted like any of those guys should have felt lucky to have the opportunity, regardless of what their life is at the time.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not any of those guys (or gals). Just one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted