1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New USC AD: Lynn Swann

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What about Matt Leinart? He's available.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hear he's locked into a long term commitment

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. As long as Swann gets it, I don't think this is a terrible hire. Give him a couple of strong deputies to actually run the department while he plays rainmaker. Schmooze. Bring in the money. A deputy tells him, hey, we need to fire this guy. Hey, we need to hire this guy. Hey, we need more money. So as Hondo noted, Swann takes a big wheel to Augusta and there's your money.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's hard to imagine USC athletics ever being hard up for dough.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one knows the rules better than Reggie Bush's mom

6. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Crap. I was hoping they'd hold out for O.J. when he's set free.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Takes work to keep it that way!

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Swann was there, always there, as a college sideline reporter for ABC. Then he ran for governor of Pennsylvania, lost and, poof, he was gone. What's he been up to all these years?

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Moddy nails it again. Be the face of the program and have smart underlings implement the plans.
    Disclaimer: I was classmates with Swann, who also was a Journalism major. We had many classes together. Great guy. Go-to guy for quotes after the football games. He might have been the first Trojans football player to grab the drum major's sword and direct the band. And to the umpteenth person who brought up OJ (hahahahaha NOT), OJ never directed the band.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That idea seemed to work wonders with the last two guys, so I can't see anything that could go wrong this time.

11. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Band members wear gloves. OJ showed the glove didn't fit. No band fit for him.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Garrett didn't let the smart underlings implement the plans, he did it himself and his smugness did him in. Haden, I have no idea. He is the smartest guy in the room, or maybe WAS the smartest guy in the room and might have lost it. I went to school with him, too, but we were only in a couple of common classes, those once-a-week cinema classes with 400 students in a huge lecture hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted