1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New U.S. News & World Report Top College rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I was told by several j-school professors once you get the newspaper experience the degree doesn't mean shit.

All of them said the first job was the only one where the degree mattered. After that it was the quality of your work.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you ever wonder they're teaching and not working at a paper? It's because they know jack squat about how real-world journalism works.

3. Bodie_Broadus

So, you could have all the experience in the world, have great clips, and the degree you got say, 20 years ago, is still gonna matter?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Stitch, almost every journalism professor I ever met or indeed heard of had a ton of high-level experience -- many with resumes beyond distinguished. They taught because they got to an age where they wanted to do something else, or as has become more common, an age where they were making more money than their news organizations wanted to pay anyone.

5. Bodie_Broadus

One of these guys spent five years at the AJC and four years at the OC Register. He knows what he is talking about.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Yeah, I was going to say that I went to a well-known university (but not well-known for its journalism school) and all my profs had years of full-time experience working at big-city papers. All but one had a doctorate. The one who didn't was a "visiting" professor as he worked as the capital bureau chief for one the two biggest papers in the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted