1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New U.S. News & World Report Top College rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We talk about college choice a lot on here, so, for whatever they are worth, here are the new USNWR rankings.

National universities:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Tie at No. 1 between Harvard and Princeton. Huge tie at No. 5. I'm tempted to call it a cop-out, but the ties probably are more reflective or reality than trying to parse between schools. Top public school is Berkeley at No. 21.

Liberal arts schools:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-liberal-arts-colleges

Regional colleges:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-colleges

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the first time I've ever seen USC ranked higher than UCLA academically.

3. Mizzougrad96

These rankings are so subjective, but I was stunned to see USC and Pepperdine so high on the list. As a native Californian, at least when I was in high school, USC was considered to be a good school, but not on the same level as the bulk of the UC schools, like Cal, UCLA, UCSD, Davis...

Pepperdine on the other hand was considered a "safety" school and was not highly regarded for academics... The campus on the other hand, is one of the nicest in the country...

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

And congrats to Cal-Berkeley for being the highest-ranked public school on the list. Glad to see my undergrad alma mater in the top 45 (whoo-hoo!).

Interesting Mizzou about Pepperdine. I wouldn't have ever counted a private school, any private school as a safety choice when I was applying.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would guess this trend shows the impact of schools learning how to game these rankings -- which a school like Pepperdine that charges $40,000 and doesn't get direct subsidies from the government has more motivation to do. And I imagine it would be easier to game the system in a private school setting where not every document is public. USC is not a better education than UCLA or UCSD.

6. Mizzougrad96

I mean, it was that way when I was in high school and that was almost 20 years ago. USC's graduate school has always been great, but for undergrad it was considered lower than most other schools in the state.

Pepperdine was considered a school where if you could afford to go there, (It was $30K a year in 1992) you could get in. One of my sister's friends, who had about a C-average and less than 1000 on the SAT and a rich lawyer daddy, got in...

UCLA was the only school I applied to that I didn't get into.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Been reading this book which is a pretty good account of what a joke college admissions are, with a chapter specifically about the rigged US News rankings:

[​IMG]

8. Mizzougrad96

Very true... In California, Stanford, Cal, Cal Tech, UCLA, UCSD and Davis are considered "elite" schools... I don't know of anyone who considered USC to be on that level, at least not for undergrad, and seeing Pepperdine on this list just caused my jaw to drop.

9. Dick Whitman

I only applied to two schools coming out of high school. I couldn't imagine a student doing that today. I made about every misstep you could possibly imagine. I didn't apply to a single school with a BCS athletic program. I was a sports nut who wanted to be a sports writer, but my parents - dad doesn't have a college degree and mom went back to a local commuter school to get her teaching degree when I was a kid - were constantly on my ass not to pick a school because I was a fan of their sports teams.

Fortunately I had a great four years, socially. I enjoyed my English major. I was underwhelmed - severely underwhelmed - by my J-school experience.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you give houses to the moms of the top students.

11. Dick Whitman

Not sure how they game the rankings in undergrad, but I know that law schools throw a ton, ton, ton of money at kids with high test scores to increase their rankings. Wash U and Indiana University are both notorious for it.

12. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I only applied to a couple of schools when I was in high school (fall 1993) and got accepted to them all. For grad school, I got turned down by a lot of schools though.

Draft saved Draft deleted