1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist to my brewing situation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 8, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Congratulations on the kids.
    Even more of a reason to get out of South Carolina. No place to raise kids (unless, of course, you're taking them to Jersey).

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

PSS,

You may run into a 90-day period before you will be allowed to be on the company health plan. You should look into paying full freight in the interim via Cobra or something.

Also, you need to try to find out if they will treat the pregnancy of a pre-existing condition or something and not cover the cost of the delivery. That would be a wallop in the wallet.

Now, the HR folks may not have all the answers, but it's better to try to hash it out beforehand.

And you may find it hard to fork over $500 or $600 a month for health insurance those three months (if there is a 90-day probationary period) but if it makes a difference over whether your insurance has lapsed or not, it will pay off in the long run.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Hey, I'm a product of South Carolina public education and ... wait, I'm proving your point.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, that's always the thing to say, and I'm not disputing. But doing what's best for you very well COULD wind up being best for your kids. Unhappy, underpaid work environments aren't particularly conducive to happy familys.

Also: Not saying it's easy, but I did a 3,000-mile job move in the middle of my wife's second pregnancy. I started the job on Dec. 7, and he was born on March 4. So it's doable.

5. boots

boots New Member

Hell no. There's nothing new about Jersey. If given the two choices, stay in S.C. You may live to a ripe old age being there.

6. AllenCone

AllenCone New Member

I took a job while my wife was several months pregnant.

Because of the 90-day insurance rule at my new newspaper, I had to use COBRA. Because my wife was pregnant and I was the husband, we both needed to be on COBRA. However, I was able to put my other son on a separate hospital insurance plan.

COBRA worked fine. Turns out with the COBRA PPO it picked up 90 percent of the discounted costs. My new job's plan would have paid for 80 percent. Remember you are not paying for the company's insurance for 90 days.

Depending on how high are you medical expenses (including COBRA), it may be tax deductible. I believe you can file of your costs are 7 percent of your adjusted gross income.

Also, there may be a little difficulty in find a doctor. Some docors refuse to take over a case from another doctor. I remember we had to search out several doctors, and that was before it became harder for doctors to get malpractice insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted