1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist to my brewing situation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 8, 2007.

1. So here goes, I get home from work yesterday and my wife informs me that we are now expectant parents... Definitely great news there, and we are both very excited.
    However, we are both heading out of town next weekend for an in-person interview for me three states away, and I am seeking some advice.
    Should I stay at my current situation, where there is no worry about a lapse in insurance, etc. or do we try to work out a deal at the prospective paper, pack up and move knowing that we probably aren't ready to take on any more expenses at least for nine more months?
    Please help...

2. boots

boots New Member

If this is truly the job of a lifetime, take your chance and go. In most jobs, you'll be able to sign the wife and unborn up after the probation period.
    Good Luck and Congratulations.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You need to provide a lot more details, starting with whether it's a better job. Pay the same or better? What are the benefits like long-term? Advancement opportunities. You can work through a short-term cash-flow crisis if there's something at the end of the rainbow. The best thing to do for your growing family is to get into the best financial position you can on a long-term basis, even if you have to take a short-term hit.

4. It is potentially more pay, better opportunities for both my wife and I, closer to my wife's family, less stress, and more opportunities for advancement at the potential place.

5. boots

boots New Member

I think you already have your answer. GO FOR IT!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like a go, then. Being closer to your wife's family might be a good thing with a kid on the way. Depends on the outlaws, though. I like having mine close but not so close that they don't call before coming over.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Are you going down to HOPE you go up?

8. well a formal offer has not been made yet, that is why i said, potentially...

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You're having kids? That's scary. Kidding, of course. Congratulations brother.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

If all of this is true, what's the question?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Built-in babysitters, that's all I got to say.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

As a new dad, I can confirm this: Every decision you make from now on must not be based on what's best for you. It's about the kids. At least it ought to be. Child(ren) change priorities.

Draft saved Draft deleted