1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist on CNHI F days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Same here. I'm at a MNG shop and we've had 5 furlough days total since last January.
    Don't think we're getting anymore soon that I know of.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Because it's your name that goes on the product. Take pride in your name. One day that company will get theirs. Keep working for your readers and the blessing will ultimately be yours, not the company's.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's a fine line between slacking to spite the company and giving more than you're being compensated for because you care too much. The rank and file at CNHI are walking it right now.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

So correct. I've tried not doing so much, cutting back on some of the small things I do on a daily basis to make my section better, but I just can't. I realize I'm enabling and giving my employers way too much for nothing, but I also know how much our section is appreciated and looked forward to on an every-day basis in our community.

What this does is magnify how awful what our parent company is doing to us. I want to take it out on a lot of people... just not our readers, or especially, the guys who work alongside me.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Oh, anyone in the business who loves their job and loves their craft would piss on the CNHI entrance if given the chance. That's just natural.

6. House

House Member

I'm not at a CNHI paper, but I crossed that line months ago.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

It's "Work To Rule." Like teachers will do instead of going on strike, because they still care about their product (kids), but are sick of getting kicked around. So now they/we work to the letter of our job titles and no more.
    Personally, I stopped getting my work email forwarded home. I no longer do any work from the house. When I punch in at the office I work, when I punch out I don't think of anything work related until I get back to the office again.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You really believe this?

9. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

No shit. This isn't the peace corps. This is supposed to be a career, which is a means of revenue for me and my family. Continuous furloughs have significantly reduced that revenue to the point where I'm in a financial strain.

This financial burden is stressful enough, so why should I continue to double my stress level by giving 110 percent at work while taking on duties left behind by my furloughed co-workers? That's a significant increase in workload for significantly less money, so fuck that shit. I'm going to work my 32 hours and spend the rest looking for something else in a business where employees actually get compensated for their time, because earning revenue is why we work.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Well it depends on why you got into the career you chose. ALL of us are hurt by lost revenue, and I don't think the company is off the hook for that. But when it comes down to it, there ought to be an amount of pride in what has your name on it. People won't bitch at the paper, they'll complain to you because it's your byline. Is that fair in terms of compensation? No. But it's the one damn thing, short of termination, the company can't take away.

Having said that, the stand is NOT covering certain things, saying hell no to certain elements of coverage and letting the shit hit the fan. Let it trickle up the ladder. When it becomes canceled subscriptions, and lost revenue, CNHI will answer.
    Hopefully.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, CNHI (or others) will answer lost subscriptions with more cuts.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

And in our shop, that would mean in editorial first, as always. Because those of us who produce original content ain't worth spit, at least compared to those who are in "revenue-(non)producing" positions."

Draft saved Draft deleted