1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist on CNHI F days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Yes, CNHI will be taking another round of furloughs. But just for shits and giggles, are any other chains continuing this trend?

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Mine stopped this process almost one year ago at our shop.

It's certainly not happening everywhere.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Boss at one CNHI shop gathered his employees for a fire at me session. When confronted by the discussion on this thread about CNHI overpaying for papers, the suggestion was made that other papers have done that too and the only reason it was hurting CNHI is because they're considerably younger than some of the other companies. It all sounded like a bunch of yaya.

CNHI is on permanent furloughs. Bank on it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can't see anything illegal about it.

In practice, it's not really any different than saying "You will work five (or four) days per week and Saturday MUST be one of those days."

Hell, I've worked every Friday, Saturday and Sunday since I arrived at my current job and even the thought of asking one of those days off is simply a non-starter. (In fairness, everyone else is in the same boat. We don't have a large staff and if people start taking time off on the busy days, stuff won't get covered and the paper won't be as good or on time.)

So it's not really any different than typical business scheduling.

In truth the whole furlough bit is nothing more than changing a full-time employee to part-time status (albeit temporarily). That happens in all sorts of businesses.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So besides furloughs, when do you get to take any time off?

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

and you say that mentioning Saturday for a day off is a non-starter ... Does that also go for regular vacation days?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The paper won't be as good?! Oh noes!

The paper won't fail to be as good because you take a Saturday off. The paper will fail to be as good because your superiors have put the paper in a position where someone taking a Saturday off hurts the quality. That's their problem. It only becomes yours if you let it.

8. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

We stopped giving a shit when the last round of furloughs began. Am I ashamed? Yeah … ashamed that I didn't get the hell out of here when I had a chance.

But the way I see it, if the company doesn't care about its product, why should I? And If I'm not getting compensated 100 percent, then why should I give 100 percent?

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Colton,

What reasoning did they give? I find it hard to believe the higher-ups at your paper know better than you what days you need to be there to get covered what you need to cover.

10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

At my old CNHI shop where I covered local news before taking a sports job with another CNHI paper (Yes, I am an idiot), the sports editor of the three-guy staff tells his two underlings what days to take off, and not until a day, or at the most, two days before.

The worst part is, the two underling idiots just go along with what he says.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hey, Mr. AMR!

It appears the memo was just for appearances, at least as far as sports goes.

For now, anyway, they seem be leaving the 3 of us alone.

We miss ya, buddy. Hope you're doing well.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Glad to hear they're leaving you guys alone!
    It goes well, for my part. I'll have to drop you guys a line soon. Hope you're surviving!

Draft saved Draft deleted