1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist on CNHI F days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

OK, my supervisor just put out a memo in regards to our second-quarter F days.

Basically, he ran down each person in our department and said which days of the week they CANNOT take for F days.

Two things: 1) This is NOT coming from corporate. He came up with this. 2) The other departments in our shop do NOT have such restrictions.

I know this is wrong, but is it legal?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did your boss explain why he put the restrictions on the F days, such as needing you and everyone else available to do the work on those days? If that were the case, I might be able to see his point. He wouldn't want to end up having no one in the office on one day because everyone's on furlough.

But at the same time, I don't know if it's illegal per se, but from what you posted, it sounds really another sign of disrespect. It's bad enough that they're making you take these furlough days, but to restrict you on when you can take them is also insulting.

Ultimately, it could backfire on your boss, if the second Q ends up running out and everyone hasn't taken all of their F days because they were restricted in when they could take them.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

My suggestion would be to call in sick on one of the days you weren't allowed to take off for a furlough.

Invite your coworkers to do the same.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yeah, ours have to be scheduled/pre-approved. It's a pain, but it's the way to keep the news going, I suppose. At least we can keep our previously scheduled vacation days now. The first quarter we had furloughs, they had to be taken before vacation days, so a lot of people had to do a lot of schedule shuffling. I'm tacking mine on to vacations and weekends off.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This furlough stuff is a disgrace to the American workforce. Pathetic corporate America at its finest.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

So, if my math is right, CNHI's "unpaid leave program" or "days without pay (DWOP)" or whatever they're calling it now will be 21 days over five quarters. Sixteen days in the first year (five in the second, five in the third, one -- xmas eve -- in the fourth, five more in the first of '10); that amounts to about a 6.2 % pay cut. Plus, I'm pretty sure insurance premiums went up in that same span. As I said on a previous furlough thread, no wonder we ended up dipping into our savings last year.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I know at one CNHI location management is making this whole process fun for its employees. They no longer use furlough days. It is officially Days Of Without Pay, and they cheer everyone up by calling them DOWOPs. The intent is to make everyone think of the musical stylings of yesteryear and smile. When I heard that I realized one of my favorite musical genres may actually be dead.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's ... not even grammatically correct. Days of without?

That also sounds one step away from an attempt to just make people work without getting paid.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

As angry as everyone at my shop is -- save for the (underproducing) ad reps (who are exempt), that is -- any attempt at humor about F days might result in what used to be masses, but now few arming themselves with torches and pitchforks.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's Days Off Without Pay. But forgive RedSmithClone. If they're at a CNHI shop, they're probably stretched so thin -- jumping around to the couple of computers that can access the internet, posting stories, blogging, designing pages, doing special-edition stories, the list goes on and with a furlough in there to boot -- that a typo got missed. That's happening more and more at our place.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh yeah. That makes much more sense. I shouldn't post so early, apparently. :)

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

* Glumly raises a hand *

Draft saved Draft deleted