1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist in the Oilers refusal to pay $18,000 restaurant tab on NY's Eve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Until I read the story I had never heard of a built in tip of 18 per cent -- and and yes Gomer that includes eating in more places than just Edmonton and area, not that I go out of my way looking for it or often eat in large groupings, but if I see it posted, I see it posted. Maybe I'm just naive or oblivious in that regard.

I actually even had a conversation with some friends tonight that are from the east and they said the socially accepted tip at restaurant is 15 per cent. Even debit machines that have a tip option built in often will give you a straight 15 per cent option or other $ amount option. Again, I understand the necessity of a built in gratuity and I have no problem leaving more than 15 per cent if the service waranted, but to me 18 per cent is assuming a little much when it's built in, even at a fancy restaurant where the tip will already be jacked up due to higher food and drink prices.

But I also didn't think me raising the 18 per cent built in gratuity as a point of possible contention would grow to this level. Was just trying to figure what they legitimately had to gripe about and was looking at an opportunistic proprioter.

What the real dickering points were I don't think we'll ever know as we only ever got one side of the story -- the Oilers of course declined comment and I don't blame them I wouldn't want to touch the story with a 12 foot electrified pole, especially considering all of the rivalry issues between the two cities already at hand. The Oilers still rightly look like idiots though.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Every restaurant around the DC area says parties of six or more comes with an 18% tip. I suppose on occasion you'll see one mention just 15%. But damn near anywhere I can remember going for the past few years, it's been a minimum 18% for large parties, per the menus, to the point that I notice it when it's lower. Some restaurants, though not often, will make it 20%.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It's Calgary. Going to McDonald's can run you $100.

Draft saved Draft deleted