1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new tv ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 16, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

a 32-inch samsung flat screen hdtv is being delivered to me on wednesday. anyone have any experience with samsung tv's? i've been a sony man of late. opinions, please? ??? ??? ???

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Samsung is a quality TV when it comes to their HD stuff. Good choice.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

if it's coming on Wednesday isn't it a little late for opinions? Just saying

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's a most overly-generous birthday gift from my overly-generous friends. just wanted to get opinions on what i should expect. thanks for any opinions from any experienced samsung owners.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Agreed. I just sold someone on getting it and it's great for HD. You can get good deals here for Samsung flat screens. Imagine watching hockey on it.....the best thing and I couldn't imagine watching it any other way.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I have a Samsung DLP & it's been fantastic. Welcome to HD!

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Damn, wish I had friends like yours. Don't get me wrong, the bottle of Jack Daniels was nice and all, but if they would have bought me a flat screen, I would have gladly provided the Jack.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, no shit. On my last birthday, I took my Mets bear, named Bear, to the bar. There, we shared a couple beers with two friends. And at the end of the night, I didn't get a television. At least I had my bear.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Now that plasma prices are finally dropping, what's everyone's take on those.

In store, they seem exponentially more clear than HD flat-screen projection.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ouch. That was a swift kick in the gonads.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't use the pictures you see in a store to judge anything.

The settings on most TVs in a store are set waaaaayyyy to high. Videophiles call it "Torch Mode", and the stores do it so the pictures stand out in a large, well-lighted showroom. If you actually used the settings that the store uses for your own TV, it would burn out in about three years.

When you have a TV professionally calibrated at home --- something I highly recommend --- at first you will be disappointed. "Gee, it doesn't look as bright as it should," will be the first thing that pops into your mind. But after the eyes adjust --- takes 2-3 days --- "Torch Mode" will look positively ghastly.

Draft saved Draft deleted