1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New TV shows - Fall 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Sep 24, 2008.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

I've been watching Privileged with the gf on The CW and it's actually pretty good. Much better than that Gossip Girl/90210 crap, but it gets lumped in with those two so it won't get the respect it deserves.

Sons of Anarchy is the best far and away though.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Chuck is awesome. Life on Mars is enjoyable IMO. I tried to watch the Selma Blair train wreck..

3. sg86

sg86 Member

oh lord

wasn't it terrible.

Molly Shannon is a repulsing human being.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What kind of a moron would do something like that?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone catch Crusoe last night? I dug it. Didn't lionize Crusoe, dumb-down Friday like I thought they would. The two were on pretty equal footing, which works well. Decent cameos by Sam Neill and Sean Bean (that's for IJAG), really wonderfully shot. But it costs a ton to make, so I doubt it has a tinker's chance... NBC will cut it and add an additional night of "Dancing with Howie Mandel" or some excrement like that.

I've been enjoying "The Mentalist," but guffaw every time they trumpet its "created by" credit at the beginning and end of each episode. Should read "blatantly stolen by..."

My lineup: Big Bang, HIMYM and Two-and-a-Half (Mondays); House and Mentalist (Tuesdays); Office (Thursdays); Crusoe and Life (Fridays). Everything else on the networks? Meh. I have no interest in Mars -- God, I hate the 70s.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This kind of moron...
    <-------

I liked the British version of Life on Mars so much, I can't really get into ABC's.
    *shrug*
    I thought about Crusoe, but I skipped it.
    The only new show that I've really gotten into is Fringe, but I'm such a nerd that way, I can't help myself.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Crusoe just seems a bit odd to me. If NBC sunk so much money into this thing, why have they so meagerly promoted it? Kath and Kim looks like a goner, same with most of the other scripted shows they've added the last two years. Even Heroes is tanking. I'm wondering if they won't just cancel their entire line-up and start from scratch next year.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I dunno. The peacock, it seems, is retarded.

They've promoted the hell out of Kath & Kim (or whatever it is), and that is a festering dungpile. They pushed Scrubs out the door, have pushed lukewarm projects like Knight Rider and Bionic Woman, can't get enough Law and Order hybrids into the lineup (to the point of oversaturation).

They stumbled onto 30 Rock -- blind squirrel syndrome.

If I were a stockholder, I'd be screaming for beheadings. They've run the network into the ground, and are tunnelling towards CW numbers.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Not to mention their appalling underpromotion (and shitty scheduling) of Life. Ken Tucker gave them a ton of shit for that in the new EW, which was nice to see. Life in one of the best things they have right now, and you'd never know it's even on.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm starting to like Mars, but how is this show going to continue over seasons or even multiple episodes?

Will he always be piecing together what is wrong with him? Won't this become tiring?

That's probably the biggest reason why I am not 100 percent invested into this show.

11. wht_trash_cmpactor

wht_trash_cmpactor New Member

I do realize this is a discussin concerning new shows, but i gotta give props to sunny in philadelphia. Talk about over the top. It's Seinfeld on crack . . . with a little meth thrown in.

12. jps

jps Active Member

I'm digging fringe. tend to watch anything I watch online, and watching the most recent right now, actually. this show does a great job with the 'oh my god' factor. I mean, bleeding from the face and then exploding head in the first five minutes? they'll then back it off and get into the meat of the show, as always, but will keep that edge throughout. they toe that line fantastically well. too bad it's on fox - those bastards will probably cancel it once it becomes any bigger than it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted