1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New TV shows - Fall 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Sep 24, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just thought I would start a thread that would encapsulate all the new shows this season, and which of them deserves a viewing.

I have watched two episodes of Fringe, and I consider many X-Files episodes to be 9.5s. With that logic, Fringe is a 7-6.5. Not bad, but not great.

I would place The Mentalist in the same category. This isn't Law and Order, but it's not terrible either. I would hang a 7 on it.

Anyone else seeing anything worthy of a DVR record?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know we have other threads on this topic, but most of those came out before more than one show had premiered.

Fringe - 8.5
    Mentalist - 7.5
    Worst Week - 5.0

3. 93Devil

So don't bother with Worst Week?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't Mentalist using the same premise as USA's Psych?

(Fake psychic actually uses finely-honed powers of observation to solve crimes.)

5. 93Devil

I have never watched Psych, but it sounds like the Mentalist is a rip off.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Not a new show, but I'm eagerly awaiting the premiere of Chuck on Monday.

7. 93Devil

There is nothing new tonight that grabs my attention.

8. Mizzougrad96

I was not impressed, which is unfortunate because I think Kurtwood Smith (Red from That 70's Show) is fucking hilarious.

9. Mizzougrad96

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm predicting that Jay Mohr's new sitcom will be an epic bomb.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mentalist is kind of a cross between Psych and CSI. Nothing terribly original, but a good cast and a good show from what I saw.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't necessarily hate Jay Mohr as a comedian ... but he's the new Ted McGinley in the "Jumping the Shark" parade.

Kiss. Of. Death.

I don't see anything new that should be better than two shows that arrived over the summer -- "Sons Of Anarchy" and "Swingtown". Some won't like "Swingtown," it's soap opera-like, but I did.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Raising the bar or whatever it's called on TNT is a 6.0 or 6.5.
    I meant to watch fringe, but missed the first two episodes. is it worth trying to start watching now?

Draft saved Draft deleted