1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New TV Show Thread '07

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 20, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figured with new shows coming on people could give their thoughts on the new stuff.
    So far, thought K-Ville was okay, but not worth turning away from a decent MNF game (EST) but not bad. Nice to see New Orleans get some love. Of course, this show depicts the town as crime-riddled and policed by corrupt and boozing cops...played by Anthony Anderson and Cole Hauser. The Big Easy is Back!

Back to You. Sitcom with Kelsey Grammer and Pat Heaton (with Fred Willard and Ayda Field late of Studio 60) as a TV news team from Pittsburgh (What's with all the TV shows set in P-town all of the sudden?) Not bad. Actually laughed a couple of times. Field is especially good as the Latina weather woman. ("I prefer to be referred to as a meteorologist," she said. "But you're not a meteorolgist" says news director. "Still, it's more professional," she replies. Snarky co-worker walks by and says "Dressed in a skirt that short (with a low-cut blouse) you certainly look like a professional."

Also liked Kid Nation. It's no Jericho, but give the kids stuck in an old Western town without adult supervision some semi-automatic weapons and it could be.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

When and where is Back To You on?

Caught part of K-whatever the hell.

One word.

K-ancel.

Anthony Anderson needs to go back to The Shield.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I heard Studio 60 is going to be the hit of the season.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I haven't heard of half these shows ... and the one's I have heard of are way past their prime.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I am only thankful that CTV has stopped repeating those damn commercials for Gossip Girl. That was enough for me not to see the show.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Back to You was on already? I've been wanting to check that out. I saw a clip online and it looked like it might not be awful. Looks like Grammer's character is supposed to be an arrogant jerk who thinks he's too good for the 'Burgh, so I'll probably enjoy that. It's the kind of role he is perfect for.

Now I'm also curious how they play the weather woman character, since the Hispanic population in Pittsburgh is nearly nonexistant.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Watched "Back to you." As predictable as it was, sitcoms are ultimately predictable as a genre; it's the writing that makes or breaks. And there hasn't been much good sitcom writing lately.

It tried a little hard (and this was the pilot, always the best; remains to be seen how the back it up) but I thought it was very good.
    Clearly, the casting is spot-on. Grammer can sleepwalk this type of role, and they've got Fred Willard as the blowhard, aging sportscaster, which is also a slam-dunk.
    I'll watch again.

I rarely watch Canadian TV, so wasn't bombarded with Gossip Girl ads. But I watched it last night and it's gonna be the girl-show guilty pleasure of the season, without a doubt.

It's just bizarre to see how they age former TV hotties to play parents of teenagers, with the blink of an eye. It's like once you turn 30, you're a mom or a dad and that's it.
    First it was Paul Johannsen (sp?), who was Kelly's frat hottie on 90210 just a bit ago, turning up as the father of the boys on One Tree Hill. Now it's Kelly Rutherford as the mother of the blonde on Gossip Girl. Scary business to be in.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Back to You was funny, but sort of had a jump the shark moment in the pilot, which is pretty troubling... There's a plot twist that they just should have stayed the hell away from...

I saw Chuck, which looks like it has potential...

Big Bang Theory has serious potential...

9. joe

joe Active Member

I laughed out loud at that. Cheers!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read in EW that most of the kids in Kid Nation came home with scars from grease burns and a few had to be hospitalized for drinking bleach...

Good work CBS...

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Missed Kid Nation and Back To You but did see Kitchen Nightmares. The Goodfellas-wannabe who owned the place Ramsay turned around deserves his own reality show.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Back To You was OK. I enjoyed seeing Grammar and Heaton on screen. They're both likeable. Willard was good, as was the snarky reporter. The bit where he griped about having to do a live shot in front of an empty courthouse building was something real TV reporters gripe about.

The weathergirl character will turn out to be annoyingly stupid and add nothing to the show but eye candy.

Draft saved Draft deleted