1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An undefeated Big East team, any undefeated Big East team, could well be the only other undefeated team besides the Ohio St.-Michigan winner. That would put the BCS in a nasty place indeed, so that's what I'm rooting for.
    But I don't think Cal or Notre Dame can beat USC, so I don't think it'll happen.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Question for all our CFB/BCS experts:

I keep hearing some people on ESPN--TV and radio--saying Ohio State-Michigan rematch in BCS championship Game.
    Isn't there something that says you have to be a league champ to play in the BCS championship game? Meaning the Ohio St-Michigan loser can't play in the BCS championship game??

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to be a conference champ, spnited. Didn't Oklahoma lose the Big 12 title game a couple of years ago and still play in the BCS game?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think the change was, you had to at least play in a league championship game to make the BCS final (if you're in a league that has one). Since there's no championship game in the Big Ten, that would make the Michigan-Ohio State loser still eligible.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks, Micro. I thought the Okie situation created a rule change.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Actually, spnited, I think the Nebraska situation of several years back is what sparked the change. They were trying to eliminate the chance of a third-place team from a conference playing for a national championship.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've searched the BCS Web site, and I don't see any rule requiring a team to play in its conference championship game (if the conference has one) to be eligible for the BCS title game. All I see is: The two top teams in the BCS standings will play in the championship game.

You'd think if a rule existed, it would be on the official BCS Web site.

I'll look again, but if it's there, it's hidden rather expertly.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JD:

I can't find it either but I's nearly 100 percent sure that some provision was made after Nebraska got into the 2001 championship game despite not even playing for the Big 12 championship.

Of course, it woudn't be the first time I was incorrect.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

In a long, illustrious career that might have been your single best post. I'll give credit where it's due.

10. Serious question - Clemson lost to BC but yet is ranked ahead of BC in most polls.

Why is that?

BC beat Clemson at Clemson and their only loss came on a fluke last second play.

Why is Clemson ranked ahead of BC?

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The Clemson-BC game was in Chestnut Hill, Mass., not Clemson.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

WVa ahead of Michigan?

Miami ranked?

Puff, puff, give, Whitlock. Don't smoke the whole stick yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted