1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New top 25... Now that the Pac 10 agrees with me, anyone care to recant?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 17, 2006.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think OU should've won, it was a crap call for two reasons (ball touched by Duck before 10 yards and officials determined possession without seeing the ball), but I'd put Oregon ahead because they beat OU. I see it this way -- OU had ample opportunity to win the game. They kicked three field goals of about 20 yards. Turn ONE of those into a touchdown, and and Oregon's having to grab a second onside kick to go for the win. Play a little better defense in the first or fourth quarter, and the Ducks don't go ahead after the disputed kick. OU got robbed, but the Sooners shouldn't have put themselves in position to be robbed.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There is crap like this that happens in two or three big games a year in the SEC. I guess SEC fans have just become numb to it. Oklahoma has no room to whine. If you can't get a kick past the line of scrimmage, you probably don't deserve to win.

3. This is your original comment. At the time you were totally clueless about what happened in the OU-Oregon game. Just like most of the voters in the AP poll who just plugged in Oregon because they heard/read that Oregon "won" the game. You assumed my ranking was based on where the game was played. There's nothing wrong with being uninformed. But I see you're just like the officials on the field and don't want to admit a mistake. Carry on.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If they beat them, which they won't, of course they should be ranked ahead of Ohio State, at least for one week.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, sub in Ohio University for Penn State, same records, same scenario. Would you still do the same?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

See, there's the problem with the poll in a nutshell. Results are not as important as validating one's prior judgment of the teams. Besides, Junkie, there wouldn't be a 22-spot swing. Penn State would rise to, oh 10 or 11, and Ohio State would drop below the undefeated teams. That's what usually happens.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Plus the more important ---- and more surreal and absurd ---- fact that Oklahoma recovered the onside kick.

Oklahoma then proceeded to fall apart defensively and get a kick blocked...

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

On what they've done. You can't project flukes, upsets, flat performances, injuries, suspensions, Pac-10 officials and the like, so anyone who does their top 25 during the year based on projections is a fool. The rankings -- at least how it was explained to me when I first started doing them -- should be a snapshot as to how the teams are now. Not what they've been in the past, not what they could be weeks from now. How do they stack up now.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ahhhh ... then, can you project ANYTHING that happens, like how the Okla-Ore game would turn out after the bad call?

Hint: Ask Joe Pisarcik.

10. it's sept. 19..... my final poll vote isn't due for a few months.... i'll have it figured out by then, i hope.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why play the games? Just put out a preseason poll and be done with it. If anyone beats Ohio State this year it was clearly a fluke because Ohio State is the better team.

Shit, that solves a lot. Ne need to worry about the bowl-vs-playoff argument anymore.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ohio State, Michigan, USC.

Those are the top 3 teams right now, this week. Ohio State won at Texas. Michigan ejaculated on Touchdown Jesus. USC is 2-0 and coming off a win over Nebraska, which struggled to score one touchdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted