1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New tires

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smash Williams, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There are a couple old threads on this, but none since 2007 so I figured I'd start a new one.

I need to get new tires before winter. I've got a little tread left, but it snows where I live and it's fairly hilly, so I don't want to risk going through winter on these guys.

I've never bought tires before, and I don't know what to be on the lookout for as far as features I don't need or add-on services that aren't worth it. When I talked to a guy at a local Firestone today, he was talking about Road Hazard charges that can be $30 or so a tire, along with lifetime services for rubber hoses and balancing.

It's an 02 RAV4 with 215/70R16 S99 or 235/60/R16 H100 written in the back of the owner's manual. I have the former on my car now, and they lasted me 42,000 miles.

What things should I be on the lookout for, and what's the level of tire I need (i.e., low, medium or high expense)?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My guess is a decent set is going to run you $80-100 a tire. You most likely don't need off road tires, so a good all weather tire should do it for your area.

You also don't have to go with top names like Goodyear or Michelin. I have Coopers on my truck and Hankook on my wife's car. Both are great. Just don't go with those $25 Pep Boys (or the like) tires that they say will go 80K miles. They are probably as hard as glass and about as slippery when it rains.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For a good deal, use the Sam's Club tire department (if you're a member). I don't think I've gone outside them, except in case of emergency, since I got my first car. You can get four great all-weather tires for less than $300. I assume Costco has similar prices.

And yeah, Goodyears are great, but if they're going to charge you $100+ apiece, go with Firestone, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Cooper, etc., in your size (and stay with what works: 215/70/R16. If it ain't broke ...)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bought a Corolla in 1998 that came with Firestone tires.

Had a blowout on the interstate at 1 a.m. one night on the way home from work. Tire had about 10,000 miles on it when it happened.

Maybe it would have happened with any brand. But it's hard to be confident about Firestone after that.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Make sure you shop around for prices. It's amazing how varied they are. Also there are some places that offer lowest price guarantees, so if you find the same time for a lower price, they will rebate you a %. Costco and Sam's Club do not necessarily have the lowest price.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've always checked Tirerack. I'll be needing some new tires as well. My left rear keeps getting soft every month or so. And since I drive a FWD car, the front ones will be moving to the back and will be getting new ones for the front. I'd say I have about 45% tread life or so left. The ones on the back have got around 60K or so on them and I be there's 70% tread left.

7. accguy

accguy Member

Costco is great for tires. And it seems like every month or two, there is a coupon in the mailing for cash off a set of tires.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you live in an area where it snows a lot and it's hilly, you should have a set of snow tires.

The worst invention in the history of tiredom was "all-season" radials.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

While that's very much true, you can certainly get around with all-season tires, or I just call them mud and snow tires. Then again, I've lived in a ski town all my life and maybe it's just second nature.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Costco has good prices. I would go there and see that their price is for the tires you need. Then, go to a local tire shop (NOT a Goodyear or Firestone, but Bubba's Tire and Wheel) and get a price from them. Get the out-the-door price (Costco will give you that price automatically). You might do better from the local guy. You certainly won't be screwed by going to Costco though.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Smash, have you had any problems with the tires on the car now? If not, just go get the same tire, same brand as the originals and shop around for a price.
    You usually end up paying for tire plus new valve stems and balancing.
    It ain't rocket science.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Spnited - they don't make the brand of tire I have on my car anymore apparently.

I will definitely check out Sam's. I don't think there's a Tire Kingdom around here.

As far as the size, the guy at the Firestone said the first size was relatively uncommon and therefore more expensive. The 235/60R16s are apparently more common. I have no idea, but the pricing seemed to follow that reasoning.

tst - so I shouldn't have to pay for road hazard? Or is there a difference where some places sell road hazard for the life of the car and the free warranty lasts just 5,000 miles?

Draft saved Draft deleted