1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Stones song: "Plundered My Soul"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 6, 2010.

1. Anyone else have a listen yet? It's the first track from the "Exile on Main Street" re-release. Excellent song. Wouldn't be a Stones classic even if released in 1971, but definitely would have fit right into the catalog. Unfortunate that the vocals are recently recorded, because I think you can tell that it's 65-year-old Mick and not 30-year-old Mick. Otherwise, though, a nice addition to rock's greatest oerve.

Thoughts?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't heard it.
    Were any of the tracks recorded during the 'Exile' sessions?
    I am a huge fan, but I really wish they had retired after 'Tattoo You' or 'Undercover.'
    Actually, I do pretend they retired.

3. I think that at least a lot of the instrumental portions of the tracks were recorded during the sessions.

I think they've been hit or miss since the early '80's, but I think there are some great listens from "Voodoo Lounge," "Bridges to Babylon," etc., etc. I'm a fanboi, but I could listen to "Saint of Me" and some others consistently.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

On stage and on record, so do they.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wait ... they took music from that era and let Mick sing over it now?

He's always stated he "hated" the mix from Exile. Now he's pulling a George Lucas.

Fuck you, Mick.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I heard the preview on iTunes when it was released.

Didn't buy it.

As far as retire, what else would the Glimmer Twins do?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Saw the track list. One of the unreleased tracks Good Time Women is the original version of Tumbling Dice.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Exile sessions have been long bootlegged. I have one called I Gave You Diamonds, You Gave Me Disease: The Exile Outtakes.

The version of Good Time Women bears some resemblance - musically, not so much lyrically - to what we know as Tumblin' Dice.

9. I hear this. What are they supposed to do? Play golf all day?

Personally, I'd love if they'd start stripping it down and start recording some serious blues, but it's just not their personality type.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I love the Stones but was just not born with the right gene to get weep over "Exile on Main street.

11. You don't like it? Man, I feel like one of my most formative evenings in college was when my buddy leant me "Exile." Popped it in a Discman and took it into the broom closet where our one house computer was and started listening. About three seconds into the opening of "Rocks Off" my life was forever changed. Don't know what I ever got on that paper, but I'll never forget hearing that album for the first time.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huge Stones freak here and Exile is easily my fave album. To me, "Rocks Off" and "Rip This Joint" are the best one-two punch to start off any album I can think of.

So many of my fave Stones songs here: the two I mentioned, "Tumblin' Dice", "All Down the Line", "Happy", "Torn & Frayed", "Loving Cup", "Shine A Light"....

Draft saved Draft deleted